- Title: Britney Spears' lawyer files to have father replaced as conservator
- Date: 27th July 2021
- Summary: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (FILE - AUGUST 28, 2016) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** SPEARS AT THE MTV VMA AWARDS ARRIVALS BEVERLY HILLS, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (FILE - APRIL 12, 2018) (REUTERS) SPEARS AT THE GLAAD AWARDS ARRIVALS LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (FILE - JULY 22, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF SPEARS AND BOYFRIEND SAM ASGHARI AT THE 'ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD' PREMIERE
- Embargoed: 10th August 2021 00:29
- Keywords: Britney Spears Jamie Spears Mathew Rosengart comments conservatorship lawyer
- Location: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES; BEVERLY HILLS, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES; NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- City: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES; BEVERLY HILLS, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES; NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Celebrities,Arts/Culture/Entertainment,United States
- Reuters ID: LVA002ENHAHJB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:An attorney for Britney Spears on Monday (July 26) asked a Los Angeles court to name a new conservator to oversee the pop singer's finances following recent testimony that she wanted her father ousted from the role.
Lawyer Mathew Rosengart, newly appointed as the performer's personal legal representative, requested that accountant Jason Rubin be named the conservator of Spears' estate, a post currently held by her father, Jamie Spears.
Rosengart also said at a hearing in a downtown Los Angeles court that he had filed a petition to remove Jamie Spears as a conservator.
Probate court Judge Brenda Penny said the matter would be discussed at a hearing set for Sept. 29.
Britney Spears recently told the court she wanted her father immediately removed and wanted to charge him with conservatorship abuse.
The 39-year-old pop star was placed under a conservatorship that controls both her personal and financial affairs in 2008 after she suffered a mental health breakdown. The details of her mental health issues have never been revealed.
Public support for the singer has swelled since her emotional address to the court in June in which she called the conservatorship abusive and humiliating.
Representatives for Jamie Spears did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
(Production: Sandra Stojanovic, Rollo Ross)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None