- Title: Britney Spears' lawyer files to have father replaced as conservator
- Date: 27th July 2021
- Summary: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (JULY 26, 2021) (REUTERS) BRITNEY SPEARS' ATTORNEY, MATHEW ROSENGART ARRIVING TO TALK TO THE MEDIA CAMERAS (SOUNDBITE) (English) BRITNEY SPEARS' ATTORNEY, MATHEW ROSENGART, SAYING: "I once again want to thank Britney Spears for her courage and her fortitude. I want to thank her fans, who have been incredibly supportive of her on social media and otherwise throughout the country and throughout the world and she deserves it and she appreciates it. Finally, in terms of substance, I will be very brief. Less than two weeks ago, we pledged that after 13 years of the status quo, my firm and I would move aggressively and expeditiously to file a petition to suspend and to remove James P. Spears. It is now a matter of public record and I announced to Judge Penny this afternoon that we have done so in less than two weeks. We look forward to litigating the matter in court. Thank you very much." VARIOUS OF ROSENGART WALKING OFF NOT ANSWERING QUESTIONS #FREEBRITNEY SUPPORTERS SIGN BANNERS AND FLAGS PHONE MAN HOLDING SIGN SAYING (English) 'Let Britney Spears speak freely!' PEOPLE WALKING INTO COURT POLICE VARIOUS EXTERIORS OF COURT
- Embargoed: 10th August 2021 00:29
- Keywords: Britney Spears Jamie Spears Mathew Rosengart comments conservatorship lawyer
- Location: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES; BEVERLY HILLS, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES; NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- City: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES; BEVERLY HILLS, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES; NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Celebrities,Arts/Culture/Entertainment,United States
- Reuters ID: LVA001ENHAHJB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:An attorney for Britney Spears on Monday (July 26) asked a Los Angeles court to name a new conservator to oversee the pop singer's finances following recent testimony that she wanted her father ousted from the role.
Lawyer Mathew Rosengart, newly appointed as the performer's personal legal representative, requested that accountant Jason Rubin be named the conservator of Spears' estate, a post currently held by her father, Jamie Spears.
Rosengart also said at a hearing in a downtown Los Angeles court that he had filed a petition to remove Jamie Spears as a conservator.
Probate court Judge Brenda Penny said the matter would be discussed at a hearing set for Sept. 29.
Britney Spears recently told the court she wanted her father immediately removed and wanted to charge him with conservatorship abuse.
The 39-year-old pop star was placed under a conservatorship that controls both her personal and financial affairs in 2008 after she suffered a mental health breakdown. The details of her mental health issues have never been revealed.
Public support for the singer has swelled since her emotional address to the court in June in which she called the conservatorship abusive and humiliating.
Representatives for Jamie Spears did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
(Production: Sandra Stojanovic, Rollo Ross)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None