- Title: â€˜Jungle Cruiseâ€™ movie pairs spirited heroine with pun-slinging skipper
- Date: 27th July 2021
- Summary: ANAHEIM, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (JULY 24, 2021) (REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE) (English) ACTOR, EMILY BLUNT, SAYING: "It was just a really open-armed, beautiful, whimsical, old Hollywood night. It was just really, it was magic. We've been waiting for a long time for it come out and we've kind of known that we have this little treasure. And now that people have seen it, it's really surreal and really lovely." (SOUNDBITE) (English) ACTOR, DWAYNE 'THE ROCK' JOHNSON, SAYING: "I think we'll look back on this moment in time and will realize how special it was and how much it was, in our small way needed, you know, to have everybody together in the way that they were and you know, as safe as possible and outside in this massive screen and enjoying it. You know, it's been a while since we've been able to do something like that so."
- Embargoed: 10th August 2021 23:46
- Keywords: Dwayne Johnson Emily Blunt Jungle Cruise The Rock adaptation premiere ride sequel
- Location: ANAHEIM, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES; UNIDENTIFIED FILMING LOCATIONS
- City: ANAHEIM, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES; UNIDENTIFIED FILMING LOCATIONS
- Country: USA
- Topics: Arts/Culture/Entertainment,Film,United States
- Reuters ID: LVA002ENR7HOT
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: In Walt Disney's new "Jungle Cruise" movie, Emily Blunt plays an action-hero explorer on a mission to find an ancient tree that offers great potential to cure many of humanity's ills.
Blunt co-stars with Dwayne Johnson in the film, which debuts on Friday (July 30) and was based on a Disney theme park ride known for groan-inducing jokes.
The actress described her character, scientist Lily Houghton, as an "adverturous, spirited girl" who will not conform to society's expectations of women in 1917.
For one, she dares to wear pants. Plus, she "ventures into the Amazon jungle in a pretty reckless way," Blunt said.
"She is a really important character for girls and boys to see because she was a trailblazer," the actress said in an interview. "Trailblazers are always a bit eccentric, and they do crazy things."
Blunt enjoyed that Houghton veers from many traditional on-screen roles for women.
"I always tell writers just write me as a guy and leave the girl stuff to me," Blunt said in an interview. "Just write me as multi-layered and full of faults, and full of the downfalls of what it is to be a human being."
To play Houghton, Blunt said she was inspired by Indiana Jones, the iconic adventurer and archeologist played by Harrison Ford. "He's not a slick action star," she said. "He falls on his face. He's scared of stuff."
Disney is releasing "Jungle Cruise" simultaneously in theaters and for purchase on the Disney+ streaming service, a hybrid release pattern the company has used for some titles during the COVID-19 pandemic.
If "Jungle Cruise" is successful, it could spawn a new franchise like the "Pirates of the Caribbean" movies, which were also inspired by a Disney ride.
Johnson plays Frank Wolff, the boat skipper Lily hires to take her and her reluctant brother (Jack Whitehall) on the dangerous trek down the Amazon River. Frank is the "cheapest, most untrustworthy" option, Johnson said, but "very capable on a boat."
And like the Disney ride operators, Frank revels in telling corny, pun-laden jokes. "He's got sharp timing," Johnson said. One joke from the movie: "The rocks you see here in the river are sandstone, but some people just take them for granite."
"That's the charm of the skippers," Johnson said, "They tell these very bad puns that are so bad, they're good."
(Production: Lisa Richwine, Rollo Ross)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None