- Title: Hundreds attend funeral of Palestinian boy killed by Israeli army
- Date: 29th July 2021
- Summary: HEBRON, WEST BANK (JULY 29, 2021) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF WOMEN MOURNING OVER BODY OF PALESTINIAN BOY KILLED BY ISRAELI TROOPS WOMAN CRYING OVER BODY, ANOTHER WOMAN WIPING HER EYES AND KISSING HER (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) MUAYAD AL ALLAMEH, FATHER OF BOY KILLED BY ISRAELI TROOPS, SAYING: "These are the crimes of the Zionist enemy." VARIOUS OF FUNERAL PROCESSION HEBRON, WEST BANK (JULY 29, 2021) (REUTERS) (MUTE) VARIOUS OF DRONE FOOTAGE OF PROCESSION HEBRON, WEST BANK (JULY 29, 2021) (REUTERS) CLASHES BETWEEN STONE HURLING PALESTINIANS AND ISRAELI TROOPS
- Embargoed: 12th August 2021 13:41
- Keywords: Hebron Israel Palestinians funeral violence
- Location: HEBRON, WEST BANK
- City: HEBRON, WEST BANK
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Middle East
- Reuters ID: LVA001ENWAPMV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS GRAPHIC IMAGES
Hundreds of Palestinians attended on Thursday (July 29) the funeral of a 12-year-old boy who was shot dead by Israeli troops on Wednesday as he was riding in a car with his father in the occupied West Bank, according to Palestinian officials.
The Israeli military said one of its soldiers had opened fire towards the car's wheels after concluding that the vehicle had been involved in "suspicious activity" earlier in the day. Palestinians dispute the account.
"We are looking into the claim that a Palestinian minor was killed as a result of the gunfire. The incident is being reviewed by senior commanding officers," the military said in a statement.
The boy was shot in the chest, the Palestinian health ministry said following the incident in the Palestinian village of Beit Ummar, near Hebron in the southern West Bank. He died several hours after being rushed to a nearby hospital.
After his funeral, clashes erupted between stone hurling Palestinians and Israeli soldiers, Reuters witnesses said.
The West Bank is among territories where Palestinians seek statehood. Violence has simmered there since U.S.-sponsored talks between the Palestinians and Israel broke down in 2014.
(Production: Yousri al Jamal, Mussa al Qawasma, Rinat Harash)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None