- Title: Three killed in car bomb attack on peacekeepers' Somali HQ
- Date: 2nd January 2017
- Summary: MOGADISHU, SOMALIA (JANUARY 2, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF GOVERNMENT TROOPS AT BLAST SCENE MORE OF SCENE PEOPLE WALKING AROUND SCENE VARIOUS OF DESTROYED BUILDING VARIOUS OF RESPONDERS SIFTING THROUGH RUBBLE WIDE OF SCENE
- Embargoed: 17th January 2017 11:47
- Keywords: Somalia car bomb African Union peacekeepers Mogadishu
- Location: MOGADISHU, SOMALIA
- City: MOGADISHU, SOMALIA
- Country: Somalia
- Topics: Bombing (non-military),Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0015XE018N
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: At least three people were killed when a suicide attacker set off a car bomb at a checkpoint outside the main base of an African Union peacekeeping force in the Somali capital on Monday (January 2), police said.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility.
Islamist al Shabaab militants, who want to topple the Western-backed government, have carried out similar attacks in the past.
The death toll was likely to go up because the bomb was powerful and it had caused damage even to nearby residential buildings.
A burnt-out shell of the bomber's car and another vehicle nearby on fire could be seen at the scene.
Nearly 300 members of Somalia's federal parliament were sworn in last week and they are expected to pick a new president.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None