- Title: Olympics - Organisers report 17 more Games-related COVID-19 cases
- Date: 2nd August 2021
- Summary: TOKYO, JAPAN (AUGUST 2, 2021) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF TOKYO 2020 OLYMPIC VILLAGE BUILDINGS, COACH DRIVING OUT OF VILLAGE KOREAN NATIONAL FLAGS AND FLAGS READING (English): "TEAM KOREA" ON DISPLAY AT VILLAGE BALCONIES CROATIAN NATIONAL FLAG AND GREEK NATIONAL FLAG ON DISPLAY AT VILLAGE MAN WALKING PAST EXTERIOR OF VILLAGE MILITARY PERSONNEL WALKING OUTSIDE VILLAGE CHINESE NATIONAL FLAGS ON DISPLAY AT VILLAGE UKRAINE NATIONAL FLAGS AND KUWAIT NATIONAL FLAGS ON DISPLAY AT VILLAGE PUERTO RICO NATIONAL FLAG ON DISPLAY CHINESE NATIONAL FLAG AND IRAN NATIONAL FLAG ON DISPLAY COACH CARRYING PASSENGERS FROM VILLAGE DRIVING OUT, BACKDROP OF EXTERIOR OF VILLAGE PORTUGUESE NATIONAL FLAG ON DISPLAY AT VILLAGE EXTERIOR OF VILLAGE CZECH NATIONAL FLAG AND CHINESE NATIONAL FLAGS ON DISPLAY AT VILLAGE POLICE OFFICERS WALKING CLOSE TO VILLAGE POLICE OFFICER WALKING SIGN READING (English and Japanese): "TOKYO 2020 PARTICIPANTS ONLY, PLEASE WEAR YOUR ACCREDITATION CARD", POLICE OFFICERS WALKING VARIOUS OF DUTCH OLYMPIC TEAM ATHLETES OUTSIDE ENTRANCE OF VILLAGE SECURITY PERSONNEL STANDING AND LOOKING ON VARIOUS OF DUTCH ATHLETES WALKING WITH SUITCASES TEAM USA ATHLETES WALKING TOWARDS COACH VARIOUS OF MAN CARRYING BABY AT SECURITY OF VILLAGE ENTRANCE OLYMPIC RINGS ATHLETES AND OTHER STAFF WALKING PAST RINGS TOWARDS VILLAGE ENTRANCE VARIOUS OF ATHLETES WALKING TOWARDS VILLAGE ENTRANCE TEAM INDONESIA MEMBER GOING THROUGH SECURITY CHECK CHINESE ATHLETES WALKING OUT OF VILLAGE ENTRANCE VILLAGE ENTRANCE STAFF WAVING FAN CHINESE ATHLETES RUNNING TOWARDS VEHICLE SIGN READING (English and Japanese): COVID-19 COUNTERMEASURES ATHLETE AT SECURITY CHECKPOINT CHINESE ATHLETE WALKING TOWARDS VILLAGE ENTRANCE
- Embargoed: 16th August 2021 05:50
- Keywords: COVID-19 Coronavirus Japan Olympics Tokyo 2020 athletes
- Location: TOKYO, JAPAN
- City: TOKYO, JAPAN
- Country: Japan
- Topics: Asia / Pacific,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA001EOL6K3R
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Tokyo Olympics organisers reported on Monday (August 2) 17 new Games-related COVID-19 cases including one athlete, bringing the total number since July 1 to 276.
Japan's Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga and Olympics organisers have denied there is any link between the recent sharp spike in cases and the Tokyo 2020 Games. Suga also told a news conference the virus is spreading at an unprecedented speed largely because of Delta variant, adding he is worried the country's hospital beds could become stretched.
Japan widened its state of emergency on Saturday (July 31) to three prefectures near Tokyo as COVID-19 cases jump in the capital and around the country, extending it till August 31.
(Production: Martin Pollard, Pak Yiu)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None