- Title: Messi talks progressing, while more FFP flexibility needed says Barca chief
- Date: 2nd August 2021
- Summary: BARCELONA, SPAIN (FILE - AUGUST 26, 2020) (REUTERS) CATALAN AND FC BARCELONA FLAG OUTSIDE CAMP NOU FC BARCELONA FLAG
- Embargoed: 16th August 2021 19:39
- Keywords: Barcelona Joan Laporta Lionel Messi contract free agent
- Location: BARCELONA, SPAIN / LISBON, PORTUGAL
- City: BARCELONA, SPAIN / LISBON, PORTUGAL
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Europe,Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA003EOL8WN3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Barcelona president Joan Laporta has said talks over a new deal are progressing well with forward Lionel Messi.
The Argentine's contract expired at the end of June and the forward is currently a free agent.
However, Barca have reportedly offered him a new five-year deal on a reduced salary which they hope will help them meet La Liga's financial fair play (FFP) requirements.
Laporta said there should not be any problems registering their new signings, however also called on the Spanish football league to be more flexible with FFP following the pandemic.
The Barca chief also told youngster Ilaix Moriba that if he was not willing to accept the club's current offer of a new contract then they would look to move him on.
(Production: Kurt Michael Hall)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None