- Title: Flames race across hills as firefighters battle wildfires in Turkey's Marmaris
- Date: 2nd August 2021
- Summary: MARMARIS, TURKEY (AUGUST 2, 2021) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF HUGE FLAMES AND PLUMES OF SMOKE RISING FROM FOREST CARS DRIVING BY AREA, WITH LARGE FLAMES AND CLOUDS OF DARK SMOKE ON THE HILL IN THE BACKGROUND FIREFIGHTER ON TOP OF FIRE VEHICLE DRIVING NEAR FLAMES AND SMOKE FIREFIGHTER RUNNING, CARS DRIVING ON ROAD AS SMOKE IS FILLING UP THE SKY POLICE OFFICER CLEARING TRAFFIC HUGE FLAMES ON HILL, SMOKE RISING IN THE AIR MEN RUNNING WITH CATTLE ON ROAD, OTHERS RUNNING BEHIND, CARS DRIVING AS FLAMES ARE SEEN ON THE HILL SUN SEEN IN THE SKY, COVERED BY SMOKE FIREFIGHTERS SPRAYING WATER ON FLAMES, PLUMES OF SMOKE RISING IN THE AIR FIREFIGHTERS SPRAYING WATER TO PUT OUT FIRE, SMOKE AROUND THE AREA HELICOPTER DROPPING BUCKET WITH WATER OVER FLAMES, CLOSE TO A HOUSE FIREFIGHTERS SPRAYING WATER ON FLAMES CLOSE TO HOUSE FIRE VEHICLE, FIREFIGHTERS CLIMBING UP HILL, HOLDING HOSE, SPRAYING WATER FIREFIGHTERS PRAYING WATER TO PUT OUT FIRE, SMOKE AROUND THE AREA GREY HILLSIDE WITH BURNT TREES AND ASHES, AUDIO OF SIRENS
- Embargoed: 16th August 2021 15:07
- Keywords: blazes extinguish flames firefighters flame forest smoke
- Location: MARMARIS, TURKEY
- City: MARMARIS, TURKEY
- Country: Turkey
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Europe,Middle East,Wildfires/Forest Fires,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA001EOL9H6V
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Flames were racing across hills in Turkey's resort town of Marmaris, where firefighters struggled to bring under control wildfires still raging for a sixth day on Monday (August 2).
On a nearby road, some locals appeared to be evacuating the area, making their way through thick, black smoke.
Grey hillsides were spotted in Marmaris, where fires left smouldering buildings and blackened tree trunks.
Firefighters using fire vehicles, planes and helicopters battled flames in several coastal resorts in drought-hit Turkey on Monday, as the government faced fresh criticism of its handling the disaster.
Seven fires were still burning, fanned by temperatures above 40 degrees Celsius (104Â°F), strong winds and low humidity, Forestry Minister Bekir Pakdemirli said.
Meteorology maps show areas affected by fires have suffered severe drought in recent months.
Eight people have been killed in the wildfires in recent days in the country, but there were no reports of further casualties on Monday.
(Production: Mehmet Emin Caliskan, Tara Oakes, Liliana Ciobanu)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None