- Title: Belarusian sprinter enters Polish embassy in Tokyo
- Date: 2nd August 2021
- Summary: JAPAN, TOKYO (AUGUST 2, 2021)(REUTERS) CAR CARRYING BELARUS SPRINTER KRYSTSINA TSIMANOUSKAYA PULLING UP NEAR POLISH EMBASSY REAR WINDOW OF CAR POLICE OFFICER STANDING NEAR CAR TSIMANOUSKAYA GETTING OUT OF CAR AND ENTERING THE POLISH EMBASSY GROUNDS TSIMANOUSKAYA GETTING OUT OF CAR SEEN FROM DIFFERENT ANGLE TSIMANOUSKAYA SEEN WALKING IN EMBASSY GROUNDS MEDIA REPRESENTATIVES OUTSIDE POLISH EMBASSY POLISH AND EUROPEAN UNION FLAGS MEDIA REPRESENTATIVES AND POLICE OFFICER OUTSIDE POLISH EMBASSY SIGN READING (Polish/Japanese): "Polish institute" POLICE OFFICER OUTSIDE SIGN READING (English/Japanese): "Embassy of the Republic of Poland" EXTERIOR OF EMBASSY
- Embargoed: 16th August 2021 09:37
- Keywords: Belarus IOC Krystsina Tsimanouskaya Olympics Polish embassy Tokyo 2020 asylum athlete runner
- Location: TOKYO, JAPAN
- City: TOKYO, JAPAN
- Country: Japan
- Topics: Asia / Pacific,Olympics,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA001EOL6UDJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A Belarusian athlete who refused to board a flight after she said she was taken to the airport against her wishes walked into Poland's embassy in Tokyo on Monday (August 2).
Krystsina Tsimanouskaya, 24, would seek asylum with Poland, said a member of the local Belarus community who was in touch with her.
The sprinter pulled up in front of the embassy in an unmarked silver van about 5 p.m. local time (0800 GMT). She stepped out with her official team luggage, and then greeted two officials before entering the premises.
On Monday, IOC spokesperson Mark Adams told a media conference that a number of agencies were in contact with the sprinter, including the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees.
(Production: Akira Tomoshige, Pak Yiu, Tim Hart, Ilze Filks)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None