- Title: Rain-triggered floods ravage residential areas in India
- Date: 2nd August 2021
- Summary: KANPUR, UTTAR PRADESH, INDIA (AUGUST 02, 2021) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) (HD) VARIOUS OF FLOODED AREA WITH PARTIALLY SUBMERGED TREES AND HOUSES (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) KANPUR LOCAL, ANUJ, SAYING: "This is Pandu River and this is Mehervaan Singh Purva area. The submerged area that you can see is the Varun Vihar slum. Hundreds of houses here have submerged. Water is rising every day. If it continues, all these houses will drown and the water will rise to dangerous levels." WEST MIDNAPORE, WEST BENGAL, INDIA (AUGUST 01, 2021) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) PEOPLE WALKING IN WAIST-DEEP WATER HOLDING ROPE DEPLOYED BY RESCUE TEAMS PARTIALLY SUBMERGED SHOPS IN WATERLOGGED AREA PARTIALLY SUBMERGED UNDER-CONSTRUCTION BUILDING VARIOUS OF SOCIAL WORKERS DISTRIBUTING RELIEF MATERIAL TO THOSE DISPLACED BY FLOODS (SOUNDBITE) (Bengali) DISPLACED FLOOD VICTIM, CHAMPA DEVI, SAYING: "There is nothing we can do right now. We have nothing to eat, no rice or lentils, everything is destroyed in the floods. We have to buy or beg for food." NEW DELHI, INDIA (AUGUST 02, 2021) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) (HD) VARIOUS OF OVERFLOWING YAMUNA RIVER AND SUBMERGED PLANTS VARIOUS OF DESTROYED NURSERY NEAR RIVER MAN CARRYING DRINKING WATER CANS ON CYCLE CART THROUGH MUDDY AREA MAN WALKING AND DRAGGING WATER CANS CART THROUGH MUD DAMAGED TENTS IN RELIEF CAMP MAN SLEEPING INSIDE TENT WOMAN CLEANING (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) DELHI RESIDENT, JITENDER, SAYING: "We are facing many problems because of excessive rain. We also went to higher ground but had to return because our relief camp tents were destroyed in rain and strong winds." SHEOPUR, MADHYA PRADESH, INDIA (AUGUST 02, 2021) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) VARIOUS OF HEAVILY FLOODED RESIDENTIAL AREAS HOOGHLY, WEST BENGAL, INDIA (AUGUST 02, 2021) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) RESCUE TEAM EVACUATING PEOPLE STRANDED ON UPPER FLOOR OF HOUSE THROUGH WINDOWS ON BOAT RESCUE OPERATION UNDERWAY RESCUE HELICOPTER RESCUE BOAT BEING DOCKED FOR EVACUATION
- Embargoed: 16th August 2021 13:51
- Keywords: India floods house monsoon rainfall rescue river submerged waterlogging
- Location: KANPUR, UTTAR PRADESH/WEST MIDNAPORE, HOOGHLY, WEST BENGAL/NEW DELHI/SHEOPUR, MADHYA PRADESH, INDIA
- City: KANPUR, UTTAR PRADESH/WEST MIDNAPORE, HOOGHLY, WEST BENGAL/NEW DELHI/SHEOPUR, MADHYA PRADESH, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Asia / Pacific,Disaster/Accidents,Floods
- Reuters ID: LVA001EOL66OF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: PART QUALITY AS INCOMING
Residential colonies, slums, and low-lying areas of Indian cities submerged in floodwater on Monday (August 02) after incessant rains hit northern and eastern India.
Hundreds of houses and trees got partially submerged in India's northern Kanpur town as the Pandu River flowed over the danger mark.
Similar scenes were witnessed in the capital city New Delhi, where the Yamuna River was flowing over its regular level, prompting authorities to shift those living in low-lying areas to higher ground in relief camps.
However, the tents at the relief camp also gave in to the strong winds and rain last night, leaving the locals stranded again.
Rescue teams took boats to Hooghly district where stranded people took shelter in the upper floors of their houses.
Seasonal monsoon rains from June to September cause deaths and mass displacement across South Asia every year, but they also deliver more than 70% of India's rainfall and are crucial for farmers.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None