- Title: Five migrant bodies recovered from Libya's coast
- Date: 4th January 2017
- Summary: VARIOUS OF BODY BAGS BEING CARRIED INLAND VARIOUS OF BODY BAGS BEING LOADED ONTO BACK OF TRUCK GATE BEING CLOSED ON SIDE OF TRUCK WAVES ROLLING UP SHORE TOWARDS MOORED BOAT
- Embargoed: 19th January 2017 20:45
- Keywords: Migrants refugees Africa Europe Libya Tripoli Mediterranean
- Location: TRIPOLI, LIBYA
- City: TRIPOLI, LIBYA
- Country: Libya
- Topics: Asylum/Immigration/Refugees,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0025XO2I4N
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS GRAPHIC IMAGES
Red Crescent workers recovered the bodies of five African migrants from the shores of the Libyan capital Tripoli on Wednesday (January 4).
The five migrants were on a boat carrying around 80 people which capsized earlier on Wednesday.
Policemen arrested the surviving migrants, the majority of whom were from Senegal, and some from Bangladesh.
Five Libyans were also on the boat and were referred to criminal investigation authorities after they were intercepted.
In coordination with the International Organization for Migration, the remaining migrants were sent to shelters across the city.
A record 5,000 migrants are believed to have drowned in the Mediterranean in 2016.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None