- Title: European Commission 'regrets' resignation of Britain's EU envoy
- Date: 4th January 2017
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK (JANUARY 4, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF NEWSPAPER HEADLINES
- Embargoed: 19th January 2017 12:07
- Keywords: EU European Union Brexit Theresa May Ivan Rogers
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK / BRUSSELS, BELGIUM
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK / BRUSSELS, BELGIUM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0035XNZSXZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:A spokesperson for the European Commission expressed regret on Wednesday (January 4), a day after the resignation of Britain's EU Ambassador Ivan Rogers.
Natasha Bertaud described Rogers as a "very professional, very knowledgeable, while not always easy, interlocutor and diplomat who always loyally defended the interests of his government".
In a letter to staff announcing his resignation, Rogers said London lacked experienced negotiators and urged the team in Brussels to challenge "muddled thinking".
"I hope you will continue to challenge ill-founded arguments and muddled thinking and that you will never be afraid to speak the truth to those in power," Rogers said in the letter, which was published in full by the BBC.
His resignation came less than three months before Prime Minister Theresa May starts formal talks to leave the European Union.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None