- Title: Olympic teams leaves athletes' village after the Tokyo Games conclude
- Date: 9th August 2021
- Summary: SECURITY STAFF STANDING AT VILLAGE ENTRANCE AUSTRALIA TEAM GETTING INTO TAXIS VARIOUS OF BULGARIA TEAM WAITING FOR BUS MEDIA AND ATHLETES STANDING IN FRONT OF ENTRANCE
- Embargoed: 23rd August 2021 06:11
- Keywords: Olympic team Olympics Tokyo 2020 athletes athletes' village departure
- Location: TOKYO, JAPAN
- City: TOKYO, JAPAN
- Country: Japan
- Topics: Asia / Pacific,Olympics,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA002EPK3R5Z
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Athletes and Games-related staff said they were happy about the Tokyo Olympics as they left the athletes' village on Monday (August 9), a day after Tokyo wrapped up an unprecedented Games restricted by many coronavirus precautions.
The 2020 Olympics ended on Sunday (August 8) with a dazzling fireworks display, a celebratory image in contrast with an event that was not the financial windfall Japan had hoped for after postponing the Games for a year due to the global health crisis.
Japan was saddled with a $15 billion bill, double what it initially expected, and with no tourism boom.
But a record medal haul for the host nation may have helped to take out some of the sting for Japan, which won 27 gold medals. The United States finished at the top of the pack with 39 gold medals, one more than rival China at 38.
(Production: Akira Tomoshige, Rikako Maruyama)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None