- Title: Mexican folk dancers on show for World's Indigenous Peoples Day
- Date: 9th August 2021
- Summary: VARIOUS OF INDIGENOUS PEOPLES PARTICIPATING AT EVENT MEXICAN FLAG GENERAL VIEW OF INDIGENOUS PEOPLES IN ZOCALO SQUARE
- Embargoed: 23rd August 2021 23:39
- Keywords: International Day of the World's Indigenous Peoples Mexico Mexico City folk dancing
- Location: MEXICO CITY, MEXICO
- City: MEXICO CITY, MEXICO
- Country: Mexico
- Topics: South America / Central America,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA005EPK41FR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Mexico's indigenous communities descended on the capital's Zocalo square on Monday (August 9) to mark the International Day of the World's Indigenous Peoples.
According to Mexico's census bureau, there are some 17 million indigenous citizens in the country from over 70 distinct indigenous peoples, making it the largest population of indigenous people in the Americas.
And the diversity of Mexico's indigenous peoples was on show in the capital on the Monday. Wearing devil masks, folk dancers performed the Dance of the Devils, a dance that originated from Mexico's south. Its movements reportedly symbolise the escape of African slaves from the Spanish
Another group of folk dancers performed the 'Chinelos', with their distinctive white masks and extravagant costumes said to be a parody on the complexion and appearance of Spanish colonisers.
Although Mexico has adopted the United Nations Declarations on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples, the country's indigenous peoples are among its most vulnerable.
According to CONEVAL, Mexico's National Council for the Evaluation of Social Development Policy, nearly 70% of the indigenous population lives in poverty.
(Production: Alberto Fajardo, Paul Vieira)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.