- Title: Three years to 2024 Games: Olympic flag hoisted at Paris city hall
- Date: 9th August 2021
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (AUGUST 9, 2021) (REUTERS) OLYMPIC FLAG BEING CARRIED BY FRENCH ATHLETES, WITH PARIS MAYOR, ANNE HIDALGO, AND PARIS 2024 OLYMPICS CHIEF, TONY ESTANGUET HIDALGO AND ATHLETES WALKING VARIOUS OF ATHLETES WALKING WITH FLAG VARIOUS OF HIDALGO AND ESTANGUET HOISTING FLAG FLAG FLYING HIDALGO SPEAKING ON STAGE
- Embargoed: 23rd August 2021 17:49
- Keywords: Estanguet France Games Hidalgo Olympics Paris 2024 airport athletes flag return
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- City: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Europe,Olympics,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA001EPK624N
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: France rolled out the red carpet for the Olympic flag on Monday (August 9), with the host of the next 2024 Summer Games promising to make the sporting spectacle open to the masses after a pandemic-hit Tokyo Games held behind closed doors.
Paris Mayor Anne Hidalgo waved the flag which she was handed in Tokyo during the handover ceremony as she stepped out of the aircraft bringing home some of the country's last athletes.
"We are very happy, it is an immense joy. A hundred years later, the flag is here and flies once again in front of the city hall and above Paris," she said, referring to 1924 Olympics that took place in the French capital.
Paris she added had learned many lessons from Tokyo's experience.
Delayed by a year and upended by strict COVID-19 countermeasures as contagious variants surged back around the world, the 2020 Games fell short of the triumph and financial windfall Japan had wanted.
At Sunday's (August 8) handover ceremony, Paris sought to change the tone. Several thousand sports fans thronged a fan zone in the shadow of the Eiffel Tower, whooping and cheering as some Tokyo medalists bounced onstage to a backtrack of blaring rock music.
Bringing the games closer to the people will pose security challenges in a country that has suffered waves of attacks at the hands of Islamist militants or jihadist-inspired assailants in recent years. More than 250 people have been killed.
In a nod to breaking with an old made-for-TV format, organisers of the Paris 2024 games have for the past year been working on taking the opening ceremony out of the Olympic stadium and into the heart of Paris.
For the first time, amateur runners will participate in the marathon, road-biking enthusiasts will cycle the course soon after the Olympians and sailing enthusiasts may be able to do battle in real-time with their sporting heroes.
No-one knows if the world will have conquered the pandemic in three years time. Paris Games chief Tony Estanguet, a three-time Olympic canoe champion, told Reuters in February that Paris 2024 was working on its own contingency plans.
Already not everything has gone Paris' way. The city's bid to fly a giant flag from the Eiffel Tower and set a first world record for the 2024 Games was thwarted on Sunday by the wind.
(Production: Noemie Olive, Manuel Ausloos, Michaela Cabrera)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Olympic restriction: Clip cannot be re-published without additional clearances from the IOC.