- Title: One week on, Greece's Evia island continues to burn
- Date: 9th August 2021
- Summary: GERAKIOU, EVIA, GREECE (AUGUST 9, 2021) (REUTERS) FIRE BURNING IN FOREST, VARIOUS OF FIRE-FIGHTERS WITH HOSES DOUSING FLAMES VARIOUS OF FLAMES BURNING IN TREES TREES ON FIRE VARIOUS OF SMOKE ENGULFING TREES TREES BURNED SURROUNDED BY SMOKE VARIOUS OF HILLSIDE ON FIRE, SMOKE BILLOWING
- Embargoed: 23rd August 2021 12:22
- Keywords: Evia Greece fires
- Location: GERAKIOU, EVIA, GREECE
- City: GERAKIOU, EVIA, GREECE
- Country: Greece
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Europe,Wildfires/Forest Fires
- Reuters ID: LVA001EPK7B5Z
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Fires burned unabated in many parts of Greece on Monday (August 9), with the largest front on the island of Evia, east of the capital, which has so far forced the evacuation of dozens of villages and thousands of people.
Large plumes of smoke blanketed the area, as Greek and foreign fire-fighters fought to control blazing forests.
According to Athens National Observatory, fires on Evia have consumed some 46,000 hectares of land since erupting a week ago, wiping out homes and cars in their path.
Greece has received assistance from a number of countries to help battle the flames and more than 600 fire-fighters tried to contain the fire on Evia on Monday.
More than 2,000 residents and tourists have been evacuated by ferry from the island since last Tuesday.
The fires broke out during Greece's worst heatwave in three decades last week, with searing temperatures and dry heat causing tinder box conditions. Temperatures had cooled somewhat but were forecast to rise again during the week, meaning the risk of flare-ups remained high.
(Production: Leon Malherbe, Fanny Brodersen, Deborah Kyvrikosaios)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None