- Title: London's Tower Bridge gets stuck open for 2nd time in a year
- Date: 9th August 2021
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (AUGUST 9, 2021) (REUTERS) TOWER BRIDGE STUCK IN OPEN POSITION PEOPLE STANDING BY RIVER THAMES LOOKING AT TOWER BRIDGE VARIOUS OF TOWER BRIDGE STUCK IN OPEN POSITION PEDESTRIANS WALKING IN FRONT OF CLOSED ROAD ON TOWER BRIDGE VARIOUS OF TOWER BRIDGE STUCK IN OPEN POSITION
- Embargoed: 23rd August 2021 18:32
- Keywords: London landmark London traffic Tower Bridge stuck drawbridge stuck river Thames technical fault with Tower Bridge
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Europe,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA001EPK3XHJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: London's famous Tower Bridge got stuck in its open position for the second time in a year due to a technical fault on Monday (August 9), leading to tail-backs of road traffic trying to cross the River Thames.
The bridge, which allows boats to pass underneath by raising the road which crosses it, got stuck shortly before 2:45 p.m. (1345 GMT), a spokeswoman for the City of London police force said.
Since 1976, the bridge's two arms, or bascules, have been operated by engines powered by oil and electricity, replacing the original steam-powered ones that dated back to the 19th century.
"Due to a technical issue, Tower Bridge is currently stuck in a raised position," a spokesman for the City of London Corporation, which owns the bridge, said. "We are working to resolve the issue as quickly as possible."
It was the second time in a year that the bridge got stuck. In August 2020, it was closed for more than 24 hours when its bascules jammed in an open position.
(Production: Henry Nicholls)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None