- Title: Jennifer Hudson got ultimate 'Respect' when Aretha picked her to star in biopic
- Date: 9th August 2021
- Summary: UNKNOWN LOCATION (JULY 15, 2021) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** (SOUNDBITE) (English) DIRECTOR, LIESL TOMMY, SAYING: (ON SHOWING FRANKLIN'S PRIVATE LIFE STRUGGLES IN THE FILM) (VIDEO AS INCOMING) "I mean, I think that for me, again, it was the question was, how do you for me, was how do you become the 'Queen of Soul?' What does soul mean? What is it? What, why does she sing the way she sings? Because, you know, a million girls in America have astounding voices. You can go to any church - any, any you know, and listen to any choir and there's astounding voices. But she had something different. And that was her ability to bring emotionality to her songs, to her storytelling. And I think that in order to understand how she became a person who could use music that way, let's understand her struggles too. You had to understand - her trauma is what led to her triumph. And I think that was what led, you know, led us to think to kind of pick the things that we put in the movie to show what she had to overcome." LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (AUGUST 8, 2021) (REUTERS) ACTOR MARLON WAYANS POSING FOR PICTURES ON RED CARPET UNKNOWN LOCATION (JULY 15, 2021) (REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE) (English) ACTOR, MARLON WAYANS, SAYING: "She (Liesl Tommy) likes to cast weird people, she's likeâ€¦ I'm always that weird choice, like, Marlon, Marlon Wayans? Every time, every time, especially in a drama. It's like Jared Leto, Jennifer Lawrence, Jennifer Connelly and Marlon Wayans."
- Embargoed: 23rd August 2021 15:20
- Keywords: aretha franklin film jennifer hudson marlon wayans movie red carpet respect
- Location: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORINA, UNITED STATES / UNKNOWN FILM LOCATIONS
- City: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORINA, UNITED STATES / UNKNOWN FILM LOCATIONS
- Country: USA
- Topics: Arts/Culture/Entertainment,Film,United States
- Reuters ID: LVA005EPK3UBX
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Jennifer Hudson says she is both nervous and excited for people to see "Respect," the bio-pic based on the life of the late Aretha Franklin and hopes audiences know her performance is "from the heart and it's like a tribute to Miss Franklin and I hope in the best way possible."
While filming Hudson said she learned she had a lot in common with Franklin.
"Definitely â€¦ our faith, that's one. I didn't realize she had the tragedies that she had in her life, that as well. And then obviously the artistry of Aretha was a mastermind. I know my place, OK, but, you know, it's so many ways that I found that we parallel at times."
The film, which will be released in U.S. theaters August 13th, focuses on Franklin's life up until the 1970s. Actor Marc Maron, who portrays record executive Jerry Wexler in the film said it was a good choice to isolate a small segment of her life.
"I thought that they really covered in a in a subtle way and sometimes not so subtle way, the complication, the complicated nature of her personality, her life, you know, the darkness and the light," said Maron.
Some of those dark moments include Franklin's battle with alcohol addiction and domestic violence. These were things director Lisel Tommy said was necessary to show in order to showcase how she became the 'Queen of Soul.'
"You can go to any church - any, any you know, and listen to any choir and there's astounding voices. But she had something different. And that was her ability to bring emotionality to her songs, to her storytelling. And I think that in order to understand how she became a person who could use music that way, let's understand her struggles too. You had to understand - her trauma is what led to her triumph," explained Tommy who wanted the film to begin and end in the church.
Comedian Marlon Wayans shows off his dramatic side in the film as Franklin's first husband.
"It's really funny because all I've done is prepare for the moments that's coming now. Like now I'm ready. I'm more mature. I'm a man now, I can play leading manâ€¦.So, some people make it when they're like 21. I've been making it the whole time, but my next level is upon me."
For years Hudson had weekly phone calls with Franklin before her death and said she made it clear that she wanted her faith to be the main theme of the movie.
"That was her base and premise, and that was the most important thing to me to remind everyone of and keep the context of throughout that process. And it's mine as well. So that was key, like, honey, we can't leave the faith outâ€¦not on my watch."
"Respect" will be released in U.S. theaters on August 13th.
(Production: Alicia Powell)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None