- Title: PSG fans eagerly await Messi's arrival at Paris airport
- Date: 9th August 2021
- Summary: LE BOURGET, FRANCE (AUGUST 9, 2021) (REUTERS) FANS WAITING OUTSIDE AIRPORT FAN SHOWING PARIS SAINT-GERMAIN LOGO ON TEAM JERSEY FAN CHANTING FANS CLAPPING AND CHEERING FANS WAITING BEHIND SECURITY RAILINGS OUTSIDE AIRPORT SIGN THAT READS "PARIS LE BOURGET" PARIS LE BOURGET AIRPORT BUILDING FAN IN PSG JERSEY WAITING (SOUNDBITE) (French) PSG SUPPORTER SALIH SEN SAYING: "I saw on social media that he (Lionel Messi) will be arriving today. So when I finished work, I picked up my younger brother from the house. We've been here since 2 a.m., we slept in the car. We're waiting to welcome him, that's all." VARIOUS OF FANS WAITING OUTSIDE AIRPORT (SOUNDBITE) (French) PSG SUPPORTER MEHMET SEN SAYING: "For me, Lionel Messi is a football legend. He's very good. He's made a huge impression on me in football. It's thanks to him, maybe, that I love football." SECURITY GUARD OUTSIDE AIRPORT (SOUNDBITE) (French) PSG SUPPORTER MEHMET SEN SAYING: "I hope we can win the Champions League with him. And we have a good team. With Leo Messi, who is a friend of Neymar and (Angel) Di Maria, I hope they will get along and win the Champions League." FANS STANDING FAN IN PSG JERSEY (SOUNDBITE) (French) PSG SUPPORTER MOHAMED FAIZ SAYING: "We are very happy to welcome Lionel Messi in our club, Paris Saint-Germain. It's a great new phase that the club is experiencing these next few days. We are already waiting for him today, all day. We will be waiting here at the airport, then at the hospital, then at the PSG headquarters, until the stadium, all day long." PARIS LE BOURGET AIRPORT
- Embargoed: 23rd August 2021 11:58
- Keywords: Barcelona Lionel Messi PSG airport fans football
- Location: LE BOURGET, FRANCE / BARCELONA, SPAIN
- City: LE BOURGET, FRANCE / BARCELONA, SPAIN
- Country: France
- Topics: Europe,Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA001EPK5YYV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Brothers Salih and Mohamed Sen, die-hard supporters of Paris Saint-Germain, have been camping outside the Paris Le Bourget airport since 2 a.m. on Monday (August 9), expecting the arrival of footballer Lionel Messi.
Messi is reportedly finalising a move to Paris St Germain a day after his teary farewell from Barca, who could not afford to sign him to a new contract.
The fans who are keeping vigil at Le Bourget airport outside Paris, are prepared to welcome him also at the American Hospital of Paris, where he will carry out health checks, at the PSG headquarters in Boulogne-Billancourt, and at the Parc des Princes stadium.
Their wish is for Messi to usher PSG towards a Champions League title, which has remained out of reach for the Qatar Sports Investment-owned club.
Messi said on Sunday that PSG was "a possibility" but that he had not yet signed any deal. French media have reported that he is on the verge of doing so, however.
(Production: Yves Herman, Ardee Napolitano, Michaela Cabrera
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None