- Title: File footage of Samsung Group chief Jay Y. Lee ahead of parole decision
- Date: 9th August 2021
- Summary: UIWANG, SOUTH KOREA (FILE - FEBRUARY 5, 2018) (REUTERS) LEE WALKING OUT OF SEOUL DETENTION CENTRE AND STANDING IN FRONT OF MEDIA LEE WALKING TOWARDS CAR PARK SURROUNDED BY MEDIA SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA (FILE - OCTOBER 25, 2019) (REUTERS) LEE GETTING OUT OF VAN AND WALKING TOWARDS COURT (SOUNDBITE) (Korean) HEIR OF SAMSUNG GROUP, JAY Y. LEE, SAYING: "I feel very sorry for causing concerns for many people." / LEE BOWING AND WALKING TOWARD COURT BUILDING
- Embargoed: 23rd August 2021 05:10
- Keywords: Jay Y. Lee Lee Jay-Yong Samsung Samsung Electronics court detention file parole release
- Location: SEOUL, INCHEON, UIWANG, SOUTH KOREA
- City: SEOUL, INCHEON, UIWANG, SOUTH KOREA
- Country: South Korea
- Topics: Asia / Pacific,Company News Markets,Economic Events
- Reuters ID: LVA005EPK3LMT
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:South Korea's justice ministry is expected to review the parole of Samsung Electronics leader Jay Y. Lee on Monday (August 9), with management at the conglomerate waiting to see if he will be released later this month.
Lee served one year of an initial 5-year sentence from August 2017 which was later suspended. That court decision was overturned and the sentence revised to 30 months, putting him back in jail in January this year. Having served some 18 months, he has just become eligible for release.
Last month, the Justice Ministry eased parole eligibility guidelines for first-time offenders with good behaviour like Lee to 60% of their sentence term served. The average eligible time for all criminals in South Korea was 80% prior to the easing.
If paroled, Lee would need the Justice Minister to approve his return to work as the law bars persons from working for companies involved in certain convictions for five years. He is likely to get that, legal experts say, as the amount deemed embezzled has been repaid. The Justice Ministry and Samsung declined to comment.
(Production: Yeni Seo, Heejung Jung)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None