- Title: Three migrants in critical condition airlifted to safety in Spain
- Date: 11th August 2021
- Summary: LAS PALMAS DE GRAN CANARIA, SPAIN (AUGUST 11, 2021) (REUTERS) SPANISH HELICOPTER LANDING ON HOSPITAL HELIPORT CREW AND MEDICS DISEMBARKING FROM HELICOPTER AMBULANCES ARRIVING AT HELIPORT AMBULANCES PARKED NEAR HELICOPTER HEALTH WORKER UNLOADING STRETCHER FROM AMBULANCE HEALTH WORKERS HELPING MIGRANT FROM HELICOPTER AND PLACING HIM ON STRETCHER HEALTH WORKERS IN PROTECTIVE SUITS TALKING TO MEMBER OF CREW VARIOUS OF HEALTH WORKER IN PROTECTIVE SUIT PUSHING MIGRANT ON STRETCHER FROM HELICOPTER TO AMBULANCE HEALTH WORKER LOADING STRETCHER WITH MIGRANT INTO AMBULANCE HEALTH WORKERS COVERING MIGRANT WITH BLANKET HEALTH WORKERS LOADING STRETCHER WITH MIGRANT INTO AMBULANCE EXTERIOR OF DOCTOR NEGRIN HOSPITAL VARIOUS OF AMBULANCES DRIVING TOWARDS HOSPITAL ENTRANCE
- Embargoed: 25th August 2021 12:41
- Keywords: Africa Atlantic ocean Europe Gran Canaria Las Palmas de Gran Canaria Spain helicopter migrants rescue
- Location: LAS PALMAS DE GRAN CANARIA, SPAIN
- City: LAS PALMAS DE GRAN CANARIA, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Europe,Asylum/Immigration/Refugees,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001EPU6DL3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Three migrants were rescued by helicopter on Wednesday (August 11), after they were found stranded more than 300 miles off the coast of Gran Canaria.
The Spanish Air Force were initially deployed to rescue four migrants requiring urgent care from a larger group of 34, but upon arrival they found one woman already dead. The three picked up were taken to Doctor Negrin hospital to receive medical attention.
Four further migrants remain missing after falling from the boat during the rescue carried out by the "Ever Grace" vessel, which carried the remaining migrants to the Las Palmas de Gran Canaria port.
So far this year more than 7,500 migrants have made the dangerous crossing from Africa to the Canaries archipelago, over twice as many as in the same period in 2020, which itself saw an eightfold increase from 2019.
With arrival facilities on the Canaries packed to capacity, authorities have housed thousands of migrants in camps where conditions have been criticised by rights groups.
(Production: Borja Suarez, Elena Rodriguez)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None