- Title: India floods leave 'no water for drinking'
- Date: 11th August 2021
- Summary: PRAYAGRAJ, UTTAR PRADESH, INDIA (AUGUST 11, 2021) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) BOAT CARRYING RESCUED FLOOD VICTIMS VARIOUS OF HOUSES PARTIALLY SUBMERGED IN FLOODED AREA AND GARBAGE FLOATING IN FLOODWATER PEOPLE STANDING IN BALCONY / PEOPLE ON BOAT (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) FLOOD VICTIM, ASHOK KUMAR, SAYING: "The boats are plying today but there is no arrangement of food from the authorities. The people who are going out are getting bread and milk to eat. There is no water for drinking or cooking." MAN CLIMBING INTO HOUSE WITH LADDER VARIOUS OF DOGS BEING HANDED OVER TO RESCUE WORKERS HOUSES PARTIALLY SUBMERGED IN FLOODED AREA BOY CLIMBING DOWN FROM BALCONY AND GETTING ON TO BOAT PEOPLE STANDING ON BALCONY (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) FLOOD VICTIM, RUCHI YADAV, SAYING: "We are facing problems as floods have inundated the area. We are not able to go to our coaching classes. We are not able to study as our books and notebooks are upstairs. We are finding rooms with arrangements for food and water. We are facing all these challenges." PATNA, BIHAR, INDIA (AUGUST 11, 2021) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) VARIOUS OF HUTS IN FLOODED AREA MAN WASHING CLOTH IN FLOODWATER WOMAN WADING THROUGH FLOODWATER WOMAN WITH TODDLER WALKING TOWARDS BOAT BOAT MOVING (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) FLOOD VICTIM, PRAYAG MAHATO, SAYING: "The entire village has been inundated. We have difficulties storing things. We are facing challenges in arranging food and water." JOURNALIST ASKING: "Are you facing problems?" MAHATO REPLYING: "Yes, as there is no work." VARIOUS OF PEOPLE AT MAKESHIFT SHELTER CEILING / PEOPLE INSIDE SHELTER BOY EATING MEN AND WOMEN INSIDE SHELTER CHILD SLEEPING WOMEN STANDING PEOPLE STANDING UNDER TENT MADE OF TARPAULIN SHEET GIRL SITTING ITEMS BEING KEPT IN SACKS
- Embargoed: 25th August 2021 18:42
- Keywords: India boats dog rescue floods rain
- Location: PRAYAGRAJ, UTTAR PRADESH / PATNA, BIHAR, INDIA
- City: PRAYAGRAJ, UTTAR PRADESH / PATNA, BIHAR, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Asia / Pacific,Disaster/Accidents,Floods
- Reuters ID: LVA001EPU3I2V
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Residents of India's northern city of Prayagraj on Wednesday (August 11) said they had been left without water for drinking and other necessities, after overflowing rivers caused low-lying areas to submerge.
Several people in the Chota Baghada area, which saw inundated streets and partially submerged houses, said they were stuck in their houses without food, water, and electricity.
Floodwater had restricted movement, people and animals stuck in the deluge had to be taken by boat to safer areas.
"The boats are plying today but there is no arrangement of food from the authorities. The people who are going out are getting bread and milk to eat. There is no water for drinking or cooking," said flood victim Ashok Kumar.
The eastern city of Patna was also a flood zone, with submerged huts and damage forcing people to makeshift shelters.
Annual rainfall is essential in India as rains support two-thirds of the 1.25 billion population living in rural areas who rely on farming. But excessive rainfalls cause problems like floods, landslides, and water-borne diseases.
(Production: Helena Williams)
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None