- Title: 10 dead, dozens trapped after landslide in India's Himalayas
- Date: 11th August 2021
- Summary: KINNAUR, HIMACHAL PRADESH, INDIA (AUGUST 11, 2021) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) (NIGHT SHOTS) VARIOUS OF EXCAVATORS CLEARING MUD AS RESCUE OFFICIALS AND OTHERS LOOK ON
- Embargoed: 25th August 2021 17:06
- Keywords: Himalayas ITBP India Kinnaur accident disaster landslide rescue vehicles trapped
- Location: KINNAUR, HIMACHAL PRADESH/NEW DELHI, INDIA
- City: KINNAUR, HIMACHAL PRADESH/NEW DELHI, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Asia / Pacific,Disaster/Accidents
- Reuters ID: LVA004EPU3JNR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: VIDEO QUALITY AS INCOMING
A landslide in the mountainous Indian state of Himachal Pradesh has killed at least 10, injured 14 and left dozens trapped after boulders tumbled on to a major highway on Wednesday (August 11), smashing and burying several vehicles, Indian officials said.
Around 30 people are still trapped, including passengers inside a bus lying under the debris, Vivek Kumar Pandey, a spokesman for the paramilitary Indo-Tibetan Border Police, told Reuters.
A top government official in the Kinnaur district where the incident happened said that rescue operations could continue through the night in an attempt to find the survivors.
More than 200 personnel, including from the army, paramilitary forces and local police, are working along a stretch of National Highway 5 that runs along the Sutlej river and connects northern India to the border with China, officials said.
A local police chief said the landside, which happened around noon on Wednesday, loosened large boulders and sent them cascading down the steep mountainside, blocking about 150 meters of the highway.
In late July, at least nine people were killed by a landslide in a different part of Kinnaur district, and dozens have been left stranded by landslides and flooding in recent weeks in another area of Himachal Pradesh, a scenic Himalayan state popular with tourists.
(Production: Dina Selim, Parul Gupta)
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None