- Title: Two dead, dozens trapped after landslide in India's Himalayas
- Date: 11th August 2021
- Summary: KINNAUR, HIMACHAL PRADESH, INDIA (AUGUST 11, 2021) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) PEOPLE GATHERED NEAR THE LANDSLIDE SITE RESCUE OFFICIALS STANDING ON THE ROAD WITH BOULDERS AND DEBRIS ON IT RESCUERS REMOVING DEBRIS TO SEARCH FOR SURVIVORS
- Embargoed: 25th August 2021 13:14
- Keywords: Himalayas ITBP India Kinnaur Shimla accident disaster landslide rescue vehicles trapped
- Location: KINNAUR, SHIMLA, HIMACHAL PRADESH/NEW DELHI, INDIA
- City: KINNAUR, SHIMLA, HIMACHAL PRADESH/NEW DELHI, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Asia / Pacific,Disaster/Accidents
- Reuters ID: LVA001EPU4C3Z
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: PART QUALITY AS INCOMING
Two people died and at least 12 were injured after a landslide in the mountainous Indian state of Himachal Pradesh on Wednesday (August 11) saw boulders tumbling onto a highway, hitting several vehicles.
"It is believed that some 40 people are trapped," said Vivek Pandey, Public Relations Officer, Indo-Tibetan Border Police, an Indian paramilitary unit responsible for border security in the region.
There were reports of six vehicles including, a 32-seater bus being stuck under rocks and mud, he added.
The landslide happened on the Reckong Peo-Shimla Highway at 1245 local time.
Rescue operation was underway to look for any survivors or bodies.
This is the second incident of landslide in the same district in less than a month as at least nine were killed as boulders fell and hit a vehicle in July at Batseri bridge.
India is one of the most disaster-prone countries in the world, and many of its over 1.2 billion people live in areas vulnerable to natural hazards such as floods, landslides, cyclones, droughts, and earthquakes.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None