- Title: Floods in India leave locals without necessities
- Date: 11th August 2021
- Summary: PRAYAGRAJ, UTTAR PRADESH, INDIA (AUGUST 11, 2021) (ANI-NO USE INDIA) BOAT CARRYING RESCUED FLOOD VICTIMS VARIOUS OF HOUSES PARTIALLY SUBMERGED IN FLOODED AREA/VARIOUS OF GARBAGE FLOATING IN FLOODWATER VARIOUS OF HOUSES PARTIALLY SUBMERGED IN GARBAGE-FILLED FLOODED AREA GARBAGE FLOATING IN FLOODED AREA/ HOUSES PARTIALLY SUBMERGED PEOPLE STANDING IN BALCONY/PEOPLE ON BOAT (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) FLOOD VICTIM, ASHOK KUMAR, SAYING: "The boats are plying today but there is no arrangement of food from the authorities. The people who are going out are getting bread and milk to eat. There is no water for drinking or cooking." MAN CLIMBING INTO HOUSE VARIOUS OF DOGS BEING HANDED OVER TO RESCUE WORKERS FROM BALCONY BOY CARRYING DOG AS HE WADES IN WAIST-HIGH FLOODWATER/DOG BEING SHIFTED TO BOAT HOUSE PARTIALLY SUBMERGED IN FLOODED AREA BOY GETTING DOWN FROM BALCONY AND GETTING ON BOAT PEOPLE STANDING IN BALCONY (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) FLOOD VICTIM, RUCHI YADAV, SAYING: "We are facing problems as floods have inundated the area. We are not able to go to our coaching classes. We are not able to study as our books and notebooks are upstairs. We are finding rooms with arrangements of food and water. We are facing all these challenges." PATNA, BIHAR, INDIA (AUGUST 11, 2021) (ANI-NO USE INDIA) VARIOUS OF HUTS IN FLOODED AREA FLOODED AREA VARIOUS OF HUTS PARTIALLY SUBMERGED IN FLOODWATER MAN WASHING CLOTH IN FLOODWATER WOMAN WADING THROUGH FLOODWATER WOMAN WITH TODDLER WALKING TOWARDS BOAT BOAT MOVING (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) FLOOD VICTIM, PRAYAG MAHATO, SAYING: "The entire village has been inundated. We have difficulties in storing things. We are facing challenges in arranging food and water. (Reporter Asking: Are you facing problems?) Yes, as there is no work." VARIOUS OF PEOPLE AT MAKESHIFT HELTER ROOF/MAN SITTING INSIDE SHELTER AS OTHERS STAND BOY EATING MEN EATING AS WOMEN LOOK ON CHILD SLEEPING WOMEN STANDING PEOPLE STANDING UNDER TENT MADE OF TARPAULIN SHEET GIRL SITTING ITEMS KEPT IN SACKS
- Embargoed: 25th August 2021 17:38
- Keywords: India Patna Prayagraj boat electricity floods food rain rescue water weather
- Location: PRAYAGRAJ, UTTAR PRADESH/PATNA, BIHAR, INDIA
- City: PRAYAGRAJ, UTTAR PRADESH/PATNA, BIHAR, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Asia / Pacific,Disaster/Accidents,Floods
- Reuters ID: LVA001EPU4CWF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Water from overflowing rivers has caused low-lying areas in India's northern Prayagraj city to submerge, leaving residents stuck in their houses without necessities.
Several people of Chota Baghada area, where floodwater has inundated the streets and partially submerged houses said they did not have food, water, and electricity supply amid the floods.
Water had restricted their movement and the people and animals stuck in flooded areas were being taken to other safer places in boats.
"The boats are plying today but there is no arrangement of food from the authorities. The people who are going out are getting bread and milk to eat. There is no water for drinking or cooking," said a flood-hit victim, Ashok Kumar on Wednesday (August 11).
The situation was similar in eastern city of Patna, where floodwater had entered villages, submerging huts, damaging property and forcing people to shift to makeshift shelters.
Annual rainfall is essential in India as rains support two-thirds of the 1.25 billion population living in rural areas who rely on farming. But excessive rainfalls cause problems like floods, landslides, and water-borne diseases.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None