- Title: Unprecedented security for Three Kings parade in Madrid
- Date: 5th January 2017
- Summary: MADRID, SPAIN (JANUARY 5, 2017) (REUTERS) MADRID CITY HALL AND PLAZA CIBELES WHERE THE PARADE WILL END POLICE TALKING AS TRAFFIC PASSES BY BARRIER AND TRAFFIC POLICE WAVING TRAFFIC THROUGH TRAFFIC POLICE BUS DRIVING PAST BARRIER LIGHT AT METAL BARRIER POLICE WAVING TRAFFIC THROUGH THEN STOPPING A CAR AREA SET UP AT SQUARE FOR THREE KINGS ARRIVAL CAMERA CREW BARRIERS STACKED ON ROADSIDE STACK OF BARRIERS AND TRAFFIC DRIVING PAST IN THE BACKGROUND MADRID, SPAIN (JANUARY 4, 2017) (REUTERS) TRAFFIC ON RING ROAD ON EDGE OF CENTRAL MADRID CONES AND POLICE ON MOTORBIKE ON OVERPASS LEADING TO RING ROAD CRANE AND POLICE PUTTING TICKET ON ILLEGALLY PARKED CAR AHEAD OF NEIGHBOURHOOD THREE KINGS PARADE IN CIUDAD LINEAL POLICE TAPE / AMBULANCE STANDING BY AHEAD OF THREE KINGS PARADE IN THE NEIGHBOURHOOD OF CIUDAD LINEAL POLICE STANDING ON ROUNDABOUT PEOPLE IN COSTUMES WALKING BY POLICE ON MOTORBIKE FOLLOWING FLOAT HEADING TO PARADE POLICE WATCHING TRAFFIC POLICE WATCHING FLOAT DRIVE BY TRAFFIC CHILDREN IN COSTUMES STANDING NEXT TO FLOAT, PEOPLE PREPARING FLOAT FOR PARADE
- Embargoed: 20th January 2017 10:57
- Keywords: Security Three Kings Parade Epiphany Madrid Spain
- Location: MADRID, SPAIN
- City: MADRID, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,International/National Security
- Reuters ID: LVA0015XT0TVR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The Spanish capital Madrid will deploy a larger number of police for the annual three kings parade in the city centre on Thursday (January 5).
Additional security measures have been taken in light of attacks at a Berlin Christmas market in December and in Nice in July 2016.
A contingency of 800 police will be deployed to protect the parade which attracts thousands of children and adults and celebrates the Epiphany, the day when the biblical magi are said to have visited the infant Christ.
Madrid city hall announced in December ahead of New Year celebrations that, in addition to December 31, for the first time the Spanish capital will restrict access to crowded areas to trucks weighing over 3,500 kg on January 3, 4 and 5 over specific periods of time ahead of and after each parade.
On these days, the city celebrates the Epiphany, a major holiday in Spain where families traditionally attend parades featuring the biblical Three Kings.
The parade in the city centre on January 1 is by far the largest, most ornate and most popular.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None