- Title: Argentine opposition lawmakers try to impeach Fernandez; success unlikely
- Date: 13th August 2021
- Summary: BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA (FILE - MARCH 20, 2020) (REUTERS) 9TH OF JULY AVENUE WITH FEW CARS CIRCULATING ELECTRONIC SIGN READING (Spanish): "Stay at home" BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA (FILE - MARCH 20, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF ARGENTINE CONGRESS EXTERIOR
- Embargoed: 27th August 2021 22:21
- Keywords: Alberto Fernandez Argentina COVID-19 Fabiola Yanez coronavirus impeachment pandemic
- Location: OLAVARRIA, OLIVOS, BUENOS AIRES PROVINCE + BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA / INTERNET
- City: OLAVARRIA, OLIVOS, BUENOS AIRES PROVINCE + BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA / INTERNET
- Country: Argentina
- Topics: South America / Central America,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA005EQ46YIV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A group of opposition Congress members will present on Friday (August 13) a request for a political trial against center-left Argentine President Alberto Fernandez for "poor performance in the management of the COVID-19 pandemic," lawmakers said.
The request is largely symbolic, with political tensions rising ahead of congressional elections scheduled for Nov. 14. Even sponsors of the measure acknowledged they do not have the votes to pass the bill.
Among other charges, they accuse the Peronist leader of violating the country's quarantine rules when he held a small party at his residence. The scandal took hold when photographs of a party held at the Olivos presidential residence surfaced.
The get-together of less than a dozen people at Olivos was reportedly in celebration of the birthday of First Lady Fabiola Yanez in July of last year. A government decree had forbidden such gatherings at the time.
A bill to be presented by members of the Juntos por el Cambio (Together for Change) party in Congress later on Friday calls for Fernandez's impeachment "for violation of measures taken by the authorities to prevent the spread of an epidemic."
This country of 45 million people has had 108,500 deaths related to COVID-19 so far, according to official data.
Fernandez acknowledged on Friday the gathering "shouldn't have been done."
(Production: Horacio Soria, Juan Bustamante, Nina Lopez)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None