- Title: 'You donâ€™t expect it from Plymouth' - residents after rare mass shooting
- Date: 13th August 2021
- Summary: PLYMOUTH, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (AUGUST 13, 2021) (REUTERS) POLICE CORDON POLICE AT CORDON VARIOUS OF POLICE CONDUCTING HOUSE TO HOUSE SEARCHES (SOUNDBITE) (English) 14-YEAR-OLD STUDENT, JAY ARCHER, SAYING: "Me and my friend were walking up and we heard one gunshot and then we just went up to the hill and then went up the road and then saw what happened and then just police and everything just went past and that was literally it. So we were all walking over to that bus stop over there just to see what happened and there was a woman on the floor and they were getting CPR and then police were just shutting it all off and barricading everything." SIGN READING (English): "POLICE ROAD CLOSED" (SOUNDBITE) (English) 14-YEAR-OLD STUDENT, JAY ARCHER, SAYING: "It is a peaceful neighbourhood though, like nothing really happens that big but then it happened and I was like oh, it's a very scary moment." VARIOUS OF HOMES IN LOCAL NEIGHBOURHOOD VARIOUS OF POLICE OFFICER OPENING CORDON FOR CAR TO DRIVE THROUGH (SOUNDBITE) (English) 37-YEAR-OLD CHEF, PETE TURNER, SAYING: "You don't expect it from Plymouth. Manchester, London, the big cities, not Plymouth, not Plymouth. But this is the world we are living in nowadays, isn't it really. I mean the bloke that we, I've seen on the news earlier, he was pretty distressed so he probably had a bit of mental health problems so it just goes around in circles doesn't it really, it affects somebody and then it affects somebody else and then it's just the families that are really really distraught about it, aren't they, really. Because you can imagine a three-year-old little girl, that could be your daughter, your granddaughter, your whoever it is, so it's horrible really it's horrible, and that's yeah, just shocking really it's shocking." VARIOUS OF POLICE OFFICERS
- Embargoed: 27th August 2021 19:20
- Keywords: Biddick Drive British mass shooting Jake Davison Keyham shooting Plymouth shooting crime scene forensics
- Location: PLYMOUTH, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: PLYMOUTH, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: UK
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Crime,Europe
- Reuters ID: LVA001EQ46IPZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Police searched homes in the southern English city of Plymouth on Friday (August 13) as residents expressed shock over a rare mass shooting that killed five people.
A three-year-old girl was among the victims of violence that police believe began with a domestic dispute and the killing of the gunman's mother.
Mass shootings are rare in the United Kingdom, where gun ownership is relatively low, and Thursday's (August 12) six-minute rampage was the worst such incident in more than decade.
Police on Friday named the shooter as Jake Davison, a 22-year-old crane operator. He turned his gun on himself after killing the five victims on Thursday evening, the police said.
Devon and Cornwall Police Chief Constable Shaun Sawyer said police had found no motive but they were not considering terrorism or any far-right associations, although they were trawling through Davison's computer.
"You don't expect it from Plymouth. Manchester, London, the big cities, not Plymouth, not Plymouth," Pete Turner, a Plymouth resident, said.
"You can imagine a three-year-old little girl, that could be your daughter, your granddaughter, your whoever it is, so it's horrible really it's horrible, and that's yeah, just shocking really it's shocking."
(Production: Natalie Thomas, Natasa Bansagi)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None