- Title: Spaniards brace for second heat wave of the season
- Date: 13th August 2021
- Summary: BENAOJAN, SPAIN (AUGUST 12, 2021) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PEOPLE ENJOYING A DAY IN THE BENAJOAN LAKE GROUP OF PEOPLE PLAYING CARDS (SOUNDBITE)(French) PATRICE VUIDEL, FRENCH TOURIST, SAYING: "We like coming to Andalusia to enjoy the warm weather but here we are getting ready for a few days very hot days. We are a little afraid because when it is above 35 or 36 degrees we know it is something else and it is much more complicated to cope with the heat." VARIOUS OF PEOPLE ENJOYING A DAY AT THE LAKE
- Embargoed: 27th August 2021 12:46
- Keywords: Spain climate change firefighters heatwave hot police summer
- Location: SEVILLE, VALENCIA AND BENAOJAN, SPAIN
- City: SEVILLE, VALENCIA AND BENAOJAN, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Environment,Europe,Weather
- Reuters ID: LVA003EQ467NR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Emergency services prepared on Friday (August 13) for the peak day of Spain's second heat wave of the summer.
In the Andalusian city of Seville, teams from the Civil Protection and police departments began distributing water among local residents and tourists and providing them with instructions on how to protect themselves from the hot weather.
Seville's temperatures are expected to go as high as 46 degrees Celsius (114.8 Fahrenheit) on Friday, according to Spain's weather forecast agency AEMET.
Some parks have been closed to the public while barbecue grills have been sealed off in those which remain open.
Teams of forest fire-fighters were in high alert across the country.
pain's second bout of extreme heat of the year is forecast to spread south during the weekend before easing on Monday (August 16).
So far only a sliver of Spain's northern Atlantic and the Canary Islands will be spared.
(Production: Mariano Valladolid, Anna Valderrama, Jon Nazca)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None