- Title: Spaniards brace for second heat wave of the season
- Date: 13th August 2021
- Summary: SEVILLE, SPAIN (AUGUST 13, 2021) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF MEMBERS OF CIVIL PROTECTION AND POLICE SERVICES LOADING VANS WITH WATER BOTTLES TO BE DISTRIBUTED AMONG THE CITY'S POPULATION POLICE VAN DEPARTING, CIVIL PROTECTION TEAM UNLOADING VAN VARIOUS OF CIVIL PROTECTION TEAM SETTING UP TENT FOR WATER DISTRIBUTION WATER BEING UNLOADED FROM VAN AND PLACED INSIDE TENT CIVIL PROTECTION MEMBER OFFERING WATER TO TOURISTS (UPSOUND IN ENGLISH) "Do you want water? TOURIST RESPONDING: "Yes sure". CIVIL PROTECTION MEMBER, SAYING: "You have to be careful now because we are now in a very hot situation. Today we will have 46 degrees so try to be hydrated." TOURISTS, SAYING THANK YOU VERY MUCH AND WALKING AWAY CARRIAGE DRIVER ACCEPTING BOTTLE OF WATER AND SAYING (Spanish) "Ah this is really fresh" MEMBER OF CIVIL PROTECTION SAYING "Please try to be careful at hottest hours and try to protect the horses as well. We are hearing that temperatures can go as high as 50 degrees." MEMBERS OF CIVIL PROTECTION TEAM OFFERING BOTTLES OF WATER TO TWO WOMEN AND THEY ACCEPTING. CIVIL PROTECTION MEMBER SAYING UPSOUND (Spanish) "Please, during the hottest hours, try to wear a hat and try to avoid direct sun, try to walk under the shadow and please try and hydrate yourself a lot."
- Embargoed: 27th August 2021 12:46
- Keywords: Spain climate change firefighters heatwave hot police summer
- Location: SEVILLE, VALENCIA AND BENAOJAN, SPAIN
- City: SEVILLE, VALENCIA AND BENAOJAN, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Environment,Europe,Weather
- Reuters ID: LVA001EQ467NR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Emergency services prepared on Friday (August 13) for the peak day of Spain's second heat wave of the summer.
In the Andalusian city of Seville, teams from the Civil Protection and police departments began distributing water among local residents and tourists and providing them with instructions on how to protect themselves from the hot weather.
Seville's temperatures are expected to go as high as 46 degrees Celsius (114.8 Fahrenheit) on Friday, according to Spain's weather forecast agency AEMET.
Some parks have been closed to the public while barbecue grills have been sealed off in those which remain open.
Teams of forest fire-fighters were in high alert across the country.
pain's second bout of extreme heat of the year is forecast to spread south during the weekend before easing on Monday (August 16).
So far only a sliver of Spain's northern Atlantic and the Canary Islands will be spared.
(Production: Mariano Valladolid, Anna Valderrama, Jon Nazca)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None