- Title: Ice skating rink opens in Basra to children's delight
- Date: 5th January 2017
- Summary: BASRA SOUTH OF BAGHDAD, IRAQ (RECENT, 2016) (REUTERS) CHILDREN SKATING ON ICE RINK CHILDREN LEARNING TO SKATE / LITTLE GIRL SITTING ON ICE VARIOUS OF CHILDREN LEARNING TO SKATE / CONES PEOPLE WATCHING CHILDREN SKATING MORE OF CHILDREN LEARNING TO SKATE / INSTRUCTOR WEARING HIGH VIS JACKET MOVING CONES SKATE INSTRUCTOR TEACHING CHILDREN
- Embargoed: 20th January 2017 10:00
- Keywords: Basra southern Iraq port city ice skating rink investment Mini Basra Halls Time Square Mall
- Location: BASRA, IRAQ
- City: BASRA, IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Topics: Living/Lifestyle,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA0015XSXQHH
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: With the aim of boosting Iraq's economy and encouraging domestic tourism, Iraqi investors have opened an ice skating rink in the oil-rich province of Basra, some 550 km south of Baghdad.
The rink is part of a large investment project known as ''Mini Basra'', which includes the construction of five cinema halls, a theatre and two skating rinks.
"The rink is 400 metres in size and is made of artificial ice. The rink was made in Germany and a Turkish company provided us with it. The ice skates are Italian, and they they are the same skates used in the rinks. The cost of a ticket is less than $5 per hour. The child can learn how to skate quickly with less risks,'' said Ramadan al-Badran, an investor and Director of Mini Basra project.
Al-Badran said about 2,000 to 3,000 people visit the rink monthly, and the cost of construction was around $250,000.
One father praised the opening of the ice rink in the southern port city and said he hoped it would remain open during the sweltering summer months.
"Our children were seeing this sport taking place in other countries on television. So our children are very happy. They want to learn how to skate. Families enjoy such activity and they started bringing their children to the rink. Basra's weather is very hot during the summer, we hope that such activity will continue during the summer season,'' said Mohammed Hamadi.
One young skater said the ice rink was a dream come true.
"I used to see ice skating only on TV. It has become a reality in Basra," said Hassan Mohammed.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.