- Title: Community rattled by Plymouth shooting rallies with candle-lit vigil
- Date: 13th August 2021
- Summary: PLYMOUTH, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (AUGUST 13, 2021) (REUTERS) PEOPLE WALKING TO PARK FOR VIGIL PEOPLE GATHERING VARIOUS OF PEOPLE WITH CANDLES WOMAN AND BOY PLACING CANDLE PEOPLE PLACING CANDLES CHILDREN WITH CANDLES MAN AND BOY LOOKING AT CANDLES (SOUNDBITE) (English) LOCAL RESIDENT, 37-YEAR-OLD MEGAN PRIEST, SAYING: "I think everyone's quite reserved at the moment but I just think it's amazing, Keyham's one of the places that's got the biggest sense of community that I've ever known and I think it's amazing how many people have come out tonight just to pay their respects and show how much love and support is around." VARIOUS OF PEOPLE STANDING FOR VIGIL (SOUNDBITE) (English) VIGIL ORGANISER AND FORMER NAVY OFFICER, KEVIN SPROSTON, SAYING: "(It's a) sad time for this part of the world but our community will show the rest of it how good we are, thank you very much." PEOPLE CLAPPING VARIOUS OF PEOPLE PLACING CANDLES
- Embargoed: 27th August 2021 23:16
- Keywords: England Plymouth candle lights shooting vigil
- Location: PLYMOUTH, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: PLYMOUTH, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: UK
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Crime,Europe
- Reuters ID: LVA001EQ46MO7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Residents of the southern English city of Plymouth gathered on Friday (August 13) in a local park for a candle-lit vigil after a mass shooting killed five people, including a 3-year-old girl.
Mass shootings are rare in the United Kingdom, where gun ownership is relatively low, and Thursday's (August 12) six-minute rampage was the worst such incident in more than a decade.
Police on Friday named the shooter as Jake Davison, a 22-year-old crane operator. He turned his gun on himself after killing the five victims on Thursday evening, the police said.
The shooting started at about 6 p.m. on Thursday, with the offender first killing his 51-year-old mother Maxine Davison.
He then ran outside and immediately shot dead the young girl, named by police as Sophie Martyn, in the street along with her father Lee Martyn, 43.
Davison shot at two other passers-by who were badly injured, then entered a park and shot dead another man, Stephen Washington, 59. He also shot Kate Shepherd, 66, who died later in hospital.
Davison then turned the gun on himself before firearms officers could tackle him. The deadly shooting spree was over in just a few minutes.
(Production: Natalie Thomas)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None