- Title: Desperate villagers join firefighters in containing Algeria wildfires
- Date: 13th August 2021
- Summary: TALA N'TAZERT, ALGERIA (AUGUST 13, 2021) (REUTERS) VILLAGERS CARRYING HOSE AND SPRAYING ON FIRE FIRE RAGING AMONGST TREES FIREFIGHTERS USING HOSE TO PUT OUT FIRE VILLAGERS HOLDING UP HOSES TO ALLOW WATER FLOW WATER BEING SPRAYED, FIREFIGHTERS HOLDING HOSE (SOUNDBITE) (Tamazigh) A VILLAGER, KARIM, SAYING: "There is a lack in material as you can see, there are only a few firefighters and we are trying to help. That's it, may God help." VILLAGERS USING HOSE TO PUT OUT FIRE FIRE RAGING AMONGST TREES VARIOUS OF FIREFIGHTERS AND VILLAGERS SPRAYING WATER FROM HOSES (SOUNDBITE) (Tamazigh) VILLAGER, BOUALEM, SAYING WHILE POINTING AT FIRE: "It's progressing and there is wind, we don't have material to stop it. People are trying to put it out, some are bleeding and others got injured in their heads." VARIOUS OF FIREFIGHTERS USING HOSES TO PUT OUT FIRE MORE OF THE VILLAGERS HOLDING HOSE VILLAGERS AND FIREFIGHTERS SPRAYING WATER FROM HOSE (SOUNDBITE) (French) A VILLAGER, YASSINE, SAYING: "The situation is worrying because the flames are progressing because of the wind, the situation isn't completely under control." VARIOUS OF FIREFIGHTER WITH CLOTH OVER HEAD AND FACE CIVIL PROTECTION VEHICLE LEAVING VILLAGERS CARRYING HOSE WHILE CIVIL PROTECTION VEHICLE MOVING VILLAGERS GATHERED NEXT TO THE CIVIL PROTECTION VEHICLE VEHICLE ARRIVING
- Embargoed: 27th August 2021 20:09
- Keywords: Algeria climate change firefighters villagers wildfires
- Location: TALA Nâ€™TAZERT, ALGERIA
- City: TALA Nâ€™TAZERT, ALGERIA
- Country: Algeria
- Topics: Africa,Environment,Nature/Wildlife
- Reuters ID: LVA001EQ46SZR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Residents of a Tala N'tazert village in Algeria joined firefighters on Friday (August 13) as wildfires rage for a third day.
Villagers helped the limited number of firefighters to prevent the blaze from reaching nearby houses and olive tree fields.
Despite assistance from civil protection the fires continued to progress in Tizi Ouzou, the main province of the Kabylie region east of the capital, Algiers.
Algeria's government has deployed the army to help fight fires across the country, which have so far killed at least 65 people, including 28 soldiers.
According to Algerian President Abdelmadjid Tebboune, the government will receive two more planes from Spain on Friday and a third one from Switzerland in the next two days in an effort to distinguish the blazes.
(Production: Abdelaziz Boumar, Thawab Herzallah, Marissa Davison)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None