- Title: File of U.S. embassy in Kabul as Washington urges Americans to leave
- Date: 13th August 2021
- Summary: KABUL, AFGHANISTAN (FILE - JULY 30, 2021) (REUTERS) US FLAG AT EMBASSY
- Embargoed: 27th August 2021 07:55
- Keywords: Taliban US Embassy US troop withdrawal evacuation
- Location: KABUL, AFGHANISTAN
- City: KABUL, AFGHANISTAN
- Country: Afghanistan
- Topics: Asia / Pacific,Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA001EQ430AV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The United States on Thursday (August 12) urged U.S. citizens to leave Afghanistan immediately, amid a speedy Taliban advance across the country.
"The U.S. Embassy urges U.S. citizens to leave Afghanistan immediately using available commercial flight options," a notice on the embassy's website said, and warned Americans about the capability of the mission at this time in serving citizens. "Given the security conditions and reduced staffing, the Embassy's ability to assist U.S. citizens in Afghanistan is extremely limited even within Kabul," the notice said.
The U.S. State Department said it was scaling back staff to a "core diplomatic presence" in Kabul and that 3,000 troops were being sent for the drawdown.
On Friday (August 13), the Taliban captured Afghanistan's second biggest city of Kandahar, local Afghan officials said, fuelling fears the U.S.-backed government could fall to the insurgents as international forces complete their withdrawal after 20 years of war.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None