- Title: Floods drown crops in Indiaâ€™s most populous state
- Date: 14th August 2021
- Summary: MIRZAPUR, UTTAR PRADESH, INDIA (AUGUST 14, 2021) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) SWOLLEN WATERBODY SEEN FROM BOAT VARIOUS OF FLOODED FIELDS FLOODED AREA VEHICLE PARTIALLY SUBMERGED IN WATER WATERLOGGED AREA CHILD FLOATING ON TYRE TUBE IN FLOOD WATER PARTIALLY SUBMERGED HUT FLOODED AREA FLOODED FIELD (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) FLOOD VICTIM, TRIBHUVAN PATEL, SAYING: "Maximum damage has occurred to the crops because of the floods. Also, the mud houses that we had built were partially submerged in floodwater and collapsed later and not just mine, mud houses of several others have also collapsed. But most of the damage was caused to the fields." VARANASI, UTTAR PRADESH, INDIA (AUGUST 14, 2021) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) RESCUE TEAM ON APPROACHING FLOODED RESIDENTIAL AREAS ON RAFTS CHILDREN AT ENTRANCE OF PARTIALLY SUBMERGED HOUSE/MAN TAKING WATER CONTAINER FLOODED RESIDENTIAL AREA (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) FLOOD VICTIM, NEERAJ, SAYING: "We were facing a water crisis and the rescue team came and helped us. We were in a similar situation in 2013when the rescue team was more active. This time the team did not come so often but it is good at least they came." PATNA, BIHAR, INDIA (AUGUST 14, 2021) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) WATERLOGGED RESIDENTIAL BUILDING PEOPLE WALKING IN WATERLOGGED AREA WATER FLOWING IN DRAIN MACHINE PUMPING FLOODWATER VARIOUS OF VEHICLES PARKED IN WATERLOGGED AREA
- Embargoed: 28th August 2021 12:21
- Keywords: India Uttar Pradesh aerial survey crops floods monsoon rainfall rains relief rescue river waterlogging
- Location: VARANASI, MIRZAPUR, UTTAR PRADESH/PATNA, BIHAR, INDIA
- City: VARANASI, MIRZAPUR, UTTAR PRADESH/PATNA, BIHAR, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Asia / Pacific,Disaster/Accidents,Floods
- Reuters ID: LVA001EQ931OV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Swollen water bodies in India's most populous Uttar Pradesh state inundated agricultural fields on Saturday (August 14) damaging crops, which are the main source of living for the locals in the region.
About1,200 villages with a population of more than half a million have been affected by floods from last week.
"Maximum damage has occurred to the crops because of the floods. Also, the mud houses that we had built were partially submerged in floodwater and collapsed later," said a victim in the Mirzapur district of the state.
Residential areas in Varanasi town remained flooded with where locals faced a drinking water shortage. Rescue teams surveyed the areas and provided cans of drinking water.
Meanwhile, swollen Ganges river has also brought floods in eastern Patna city and the nearby areas.
Annual rainfall is essential in India as rains support two-thirds of the 1.25 billion population living in rural areas who rely on farming. But excessive rainfalls cause problems like floods, landslides, and water-borne diseases.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None