- Title: From pizza boxes to bike parts, Danube river race goes green and wacky
- Date: 14th August 2021
- Summary: HARTA, HUNGARY (AUGUST 14, 2021) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF "CRAZY BOAT" WITH MEN CYCLING ON TOP OF BOAT RACING BOAT RACING VARIOUS OF BOAT WITH MEN CYCLING ON TOP RACING PEOPLE WATCHING ON SHORE BOATS GETTING INTO FINISH (SOUNDBITE) (Hungarian) RACE ORGANISER, RAFAEL SZOLLOSI SAYING: "There are quite a lot of crazy people around this area, and therefore a lot of people like to build such boats and take part in this race. They often tell me that during the race they feel like rock stars on stage." BOAT CALLED "SPRITZER TERRACE" RACING BEER GARDEN BOAT RACERS PEDALLING SPRITZER TERRACE BOAT RACER ON BEER GARDEN BOAT RAISING BEER RACERS ON SPRITZER GARDEN BOAT RAISING WINE GLASS, BOTTLE VARIOUS OF TEAM MEMBERS OF SPRITZER TERRACE BOAT DOING ADJUSTMENTS ON BOAT (SOUNDBITE) (Hungarian) CAPTAIN OF SPRITZER TERRACE BOAT, NORBERT IVANYI, SAYING: "There will be glasses with spritzer on the table as if we were sitting in a real pub and we will be pushing the wheels like that on the water. We will be sitting on the boat in a perpendicular direction to the Danube and we will be going forward sideways." VARIOUS OF TEAM MEMBERS OF BABEWATCH BOAT STANDING BY BOAT WEARING COSTUMES READING (English): ''BRAZILIAN LIFE GUARD'' TEAM MEMBERS CARRYING BABEWATCH BOAT BUILT OF PLASTIC BOTTLES VARIOUS OF BABEWATCH BOAT RACING PEOPLE ON SHORE CLAPPING AND CHEERING / BABEWATCH GETTING INTO FINISH, TEAM MEMBERS JUMPING INTO RIVER MAN CLAPPING BABEWATCH TEAM MEMBERS PULLING BOAT TO SHORE (SOUNDBITE) (Hungarian) CAPTAIN OF BABEWATCH BOAT, VIKTOR SZOLLOSI, SAYING: "We take part every single year, it is a great way to bring people together. This is the event that we look forward to the most every summer." VARIOUS OF PIZZA BOAT RACING WITH TEAM MEMBERS TURNING WHEELS BY HAND (SOUNDBITE) (Hungarian) CAPTAIN OF PIZZA BOAT, ATTILA SZOLLOSI, SAYING: "Our team at the pizzeria is crazy anyway plus we all like the river and we are fans of this village and there are many other reasons why we do this, but the most important one is that we want to have a big laugh." VARIOUS OF BOATS RACING, INCLUDING CRAFT RESEMBLING A MINION
- Embargoed: 28th August 2021 19:49
- Keywords: Danube river race Harta Hungary bicycle parts cardboard crazy boats empty barrels
- Location: HARTA, HUNGARY
- City: HARTA, HUNGARY
- Country: Hungary
- Topics: Arts/Culture/Entertainment,Europe
- Reuters ID: LVA001EQ92REH
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Rafts built from cardboard, plastic bottles, empty barrels and bicycle parts sailed - or tried to sail - on the Danube on Saturday (August 14) as this year's event drew inspiration from pubs, pizzas and cartoon characters.
Under the rules, the 16 vessels piloted by the Hungarian teams could not be made using boats, kayaks or canoes, or using any materials that could damage the environment.
Local winemaker Norbert Ivanyi and his team built a bar terrace and had a bottle of wine on board for spritzers as they peddled downstream using bicycle parts attached to a table.
"There are quite a lot of crazy people around this area, and therefore a lot of people like to build such boats and take part in this race. They often tell me that during the race they feel like rock stars on stage," said race organiser Rafael Szollosi.
One team built a round-shaped wooden creation with pizza toppings decorations as team members were supposed to paddle in the middle. But soon after their start the paddles gave up and team members made it to the finish line paddling with their hands.
"Our team at the pizzeria is crazy anyway plus we all like the river and we are fans of this village and there are many other reasons why we do this, but the most important one is that we want to have a big laugh," team captain Attila Szollosi said smiling.
(Production: Krisztina Fenyo, Natasa Bansagi)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None