- Title: COVID-19 spike hits festive flowers sale in India's Kerala
- Date: 14th August 2021
- Summary: KOTTAYAM, KERALA, INDIA (AUGUST 12, 2021) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) EXTERIOR OF TEMPLE VARIOUS OF FLOWER TRADERS SEATED AT SHOPS VARIOUS KINDS OF FLOWERS ON DISPLAY FLOWER SHOP KOTTAYAM, KERALA, INDIA (AUGUST 13, 2021) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) VARIOUS OF PEOPLE PRAYING AT TEMPLE AND OFFERING FLOWERS VARIOUS OF FLOWERS ON DISPLAY KOTTAYAM, KERALA, INDIA (AUGUST 12, 2021) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) (SOUNDBITE) (English) FLOWER MERCHANT, G. GOPIKRISHNAN, SAYING: "Due to corona pandemic in Kottayam increases (cases increasing) day-by-day...bad weather is there. Flower prices are going up every day. Also, all these conditions are against sale of flowers in Kerala." VEHICLES ON ROAD VARIOUS OF FLOWERS ON DISPLAY MAN SEATED AT FLOWER SHOP VARIOUS OF FLOWERS ON DISPLAY PEOPLE AT FLOWER SHOP
- Embargoed: 28th August 2021 08:43
- Keywords: COVID-19 India Kerala Kottayam coronavirus festival flowers lockdown sale temple
- Location: KOTTAYAM, KERALA, INDIA
- City: KOTTAYAM, KERALA, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Asia / Pacific,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA001EQ930WF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Sale of flowers in India's southern Kerala was adversely affected ahead of festive Onam season due to the COVID-19 impact in the state.
Typically pre-Onam flower sale is one of the biggest time of cheer for flower merchants in the region, however, owing to the pandemic and subsequent restrictions, the sale has been hit severely.
"Due to corona pandemic in Kottayam increases (cases increasing) day-by-day...bad weather is there. Flower prices are going up every day. Also, all these conditions are against sale of flowers in Kerala," said a flower merchant, G. Gopikrishnan on Thursday (August 12).
Kerala over the past one month is having the record highest active cases in the country, taking the numbers to 180,522 as on Saturday (August 14).
India reported 38,667 new coronavirus infections in the last 24 hours, a government statement said on Saturday.
Daily COVID-19 deaths in the country rose by 478, health ministry data showed. Total cases rose to 32.12 million.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None