- Title: 'Everyone is tired of war' - Kabul resident after Taliban reaches capital
- Date: 15th August 2021
- Summary: KABUL, AFGHANISTAN (AUGUST 15, 2021) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF TAXI DRIVERS ON STREET, PEOPLE WALKING (SOUNDBITE ) (Dari) RESIDENT OF KABUL, OBAIDULLAH, SAYING: "Everyone is tired of war, explosions, and suicide attacks. Now things are changed. God is merciful and we hope an Islamic system will establish in the country, I hope there will be peace and stability so that people can live a peaceful life." PEOPLE ON STREET, CARS GATHERED
- Embargoed: 29th August 2021 14:45
- Keywords: Afghanistan Kabul Taliban
- Location: KABUL, AFGHANISTAN
- City: KABUL, AFGHANISTAN
- Country: Afghanistan
- Topics: Asia / Pacific,Conflicts/War/Peace,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA001EQE4IFB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A Kabul resident said he hoped for peace and stability after Taliban insurgents entered Afghanistan's capital on Sunday (August 15) and said they expected to take power within days.
"Everyone is tired of war, explosions, and suicide attacks. Now things are changed. God is merciful and we hope an Islamic system will establish in the country," resident Obaidullah said.
An official said President Ashraf Ghani had left the city for Tajikistan, capping the militants' lightning push for power.
American diplomats were evacuated from their embassy by chopper after a swift advance by the militants who were poised to run Afghanistan again 20 years after they were toppled by U.S.-led forces following the September 11 attacks on the United States.
Many of Kabul's streets were choked by cars and people either trying to rush home or reach the airport, residents said.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None