- Title: Shops closed as Taliban reaches Kabul
- Date: 15th August 2021
- Summary: KABUL, AFGHANISTAN (AUGUST 15, 2021) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF CARS AND PEOPLE DRIVING ON QUITE STREET, SHOPS SHUTTERED VARIOUS OF PEOPLE AND VENDORS ON STREET PEOPLE WITH BELONGINGS GETTING INTO CAR EXTERIOR OF ABDUL RAHMAN MOSQUE PICTURE OF AFGHAN PRESIDENT ASHRAF GHANI NEXT TO MOSQUE VARIOUS OF PEOPLE WALKING PAST PICTURE OF GHANI CARS DRIVING ON STREET, POLICE STANDING VARIOUS OF TRAFFIC JAM ON ROAD TO DOWNTOWN EMPTY ROAD, SHUTTERED SHOPS NEAR EMPTY ROAD SHUTTERED SHOP MEN WALKING ON PAVEMENT VARIOUS OF PEOPLE, INCLUDING WOMEN IN BURQA, WALKING
- Embargoed: 29th August 2021 13:34
- Keywords: Kabul Taliban insurgents closed shops street views traffic jam
- Location: KABUL, AFGHANISTAN
- City: KABUL, AFGHANISTAN
- Country: Afghanistan
- Topics: Asia / Pacific,Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA001EQE42MF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Parts of Kabul were deserted while some streets were choked by cars on Sunday (August 15), as Taliban insurgents entered Afghanistan's capital Kabul.
Many shops were shuttered across the city as the Taliban said they expected to take power within days, promising to moderate their earlier hardline Islamist rule even as foreign diplomats and many locals tried to leave.
Taliban fighters were reaching the capital "from all sides", a senior Afghan interior ministry official told Reuters.
However, there were no reports of fighting.
The group was in talks with the Western-backed government for a peaceful surrender, Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None