- Title: Heavy rains inundate streets and flood houses in southern Japan
- Date: 15th August 2021
- Summary: TAKEO, SAGA PREFECTURE, JAPAN (AUGUST 15, 2021) (REUTERS) LOCAL RESIDENT CARRYING CLEANING EQUIPMENT NEXT TO RESCUERS PUSHING LIFEBOAT IN FLOODED STREET LOCAL RESIDENTS CARRYING CLEANING EQUIPMENT IN FLOODED STREET LOCAL RESIDENTS GETTING ONTO RESCUERS' LIFEBOAT IN FLOODED STREET LOCAL RESIDENTS RIDING IN LIFEBOAT RESCUERS PUSHING LOCAL RESIDENTS IN LIFEBOAT LOCAL RESIDENTS CLEANING STREET SIDE WITH SPRAYER AND BRUSH MAN WALKING THROUGH FLOODED STREET RESCUE AND POLICE VEHICLES PARKED AT END OF FLOODED STREET (SOUNDBITE) (Japanese) 20-YEAR-OLD LOCAL RESIDENT, RIN MATSUMORI, SAYING: "Well right now my wardrobe is completely ruined, along with our furniture. Two year ago we had about the same occurrence (of floods), but all the new furniture we had replaced was completely ruined (this time). FLOODED PARKING LOT IN FRONT OF RESTAURANT BROKEN WINDOW ON RESTAURANT BROKEN WARDROBE IN FLOODWATER MAN WALKING IN FLOODED STREET (SOUNDBITE) (Japanese) 22-YEAR-OLD LOCAL RESIDENT AND OFFICE WORKER, NOZOMI OKAMOTO, SAYING: "I was really shocked (by the flooding). I also experienced the 2016 Kumamoto earthquake, but this has left an impression on me in a different way." CHAIR IN FRONT OF FLOODED PARKING LOT OF UTILITY STORE LIZARD SITTING ON CHAIR TOSU, SAGA PREFECTURE, JAPAN (AUGUST 15, 2021) (REUTERS) TRAIN PASSING IN BACKGROUND OF RESCUE VEHICLES PARKED ON ROADSIDE VARIOUS OF FLOODED RIVER AND FLOODED HOUSES GREENHOUSE FULL OF EQUIPMENT IN FLOODED RIVER
- Embargoed: 29th August 2021 04:35
- Keywords: Heavy rain Takeo Tosu aftermath debris floods local residents natural disaster rescue southern Japan
- Location: TAKEO, TOSU, SAGA PREFECTURE, JAPAN
- City: TAKEO, TOSU, SAGA PREFECTURE, JAPAN
- Country: Japan
- Topics: Asia / Pacific,Disaster/Accidents,Floods
- Reuters ID: LVA001EQE2CZR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Floodwater brought by heavy rains continued to inundate streets and homes in southern Japan on Sunday (August 15).
Torrential rains lashed much of Japan on Sunday, submerging roads and buildings in the western part of the country, while three people were feared dead after a landslide in central Nagano prefecture.
As of Sunday morning, the rain had stopped in much of Kyushu, even as Tokyo and other parts of the country were pounded by the downpour.
In Takeo, a city in Saga prefecture in Kyushu, entire roads were submerged as rescue workers in wetsuits dragged inflatable boats and surveyed the damage. Local residents carried broomsticks and buckets and waded knee-deep in water.
"I was really shocked (by the flooding). I also experienced the 2016 Kumamoto earthquake, but this has left an impression on me in a different way." said 22-year-old resident Nozomi Okamoto.
A level-4 evacuation warning, the second highest alert, was still in place for Takeo and nearby towns for about 18,380 households as of 12 noon local time (0300GMT).
(Production: Joseph Campbell, Akiko Okamoto)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None