- Title: Thai protesters honk horns in 'car mob' rally demanding PM resign
- Date: 15th August 2021
- Summary: BANGKOK, THAILAND (AUGUST 15, 2021) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS PROFANITY*** ANTI-GOVERNMENT PROTESTERS ON MOTORBIKES DRIVING TO JOIN 'CAR MOB' RALLY WOMAN STANDING THROUGH CAR ROOF ANTI-GOVERNMENT PROTESTERS ON MOTORBIKES DRIVING VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS SPEAKING ON MEGAPHONES ATOP CAR CARS PARKED AND HONKING HORNS WHILE PLAYING THE NATIONAL ANTHEM, PEOPLE RAISING THREE-FINGER SALUTES HAND PRESSING ON CAR HORN PROTESTERS RAISING THREE-FINGER SALUTE PROTESTERS WAVING FLAGS VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS AROUND CARS, HORNS HONKING VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS ON MOTORBIKES GATHERED AT RATCHAPRASONG INTERSECTION PROTESTER HOLD SIGN OUT OF CAR, READING (Thai): "SICK GOVERNMENT GAINING PROFIT FROM PFIZER AND PEOPLE'S LIVES / FREE PFIZER FOR VIP, RUBBER BULLET AND TEAR GAS ONLY FOR PEOPLE" SIGN ON CAR READING (English): "DO NOT FUCKING QUIT, JUST GO AND WORK FROM HELL" (SOUNDBITE) (Thai) ANTI-GOVERNMENT PROTESTER, PATRICKPOL KHENDA, SAYING: "The government should now realise that for the seven years that they've been in power, they have failed, don't try to linger on. With the nationwide pandemic, they should have done more to better this instead of trying to help their own people." SIGN ON CAR READING (Thai): "THE PEOPLE WANT VACCINE, NOT FORMALDEHYDE AND FUNERAL FLOWERS" KHENDA HONKING HORN FROM HIS CAR SIGN ON CAR SHOWING DRAWING OF INJURED ACTIVIST, READING (English): "NO ONE DESERVES VIOLENCE FROM GOVERNMENT" (SOUNDBITE) (Thai) ANTI-GOVERNMENT PROTESTER, THANATTORN (NO LAST NAME GIVEN), SAYING: "The government has made its governing worse and worse, to the point where I had so many questions in my head and I couldn't answer them myself. I had to go search on the internet and it opened up my eyes, I can't take it anymore, I have to come out and join the protest to do something about this." PROTESTERS RAISING THREE-FINGER SALUTE FROM INSIDE CAR SIGN ON CAR NUMBER PLATE READING (Thai): "(THAILAND PRIME MINISTER) PRAYUTH, GET OUT. THE GOVERNMENT SUCKS" SIGNS FROM CAR DASHBOARD READING (Thai and English): "PRAYUTH GET OUT" PROTESTER USING CLAPPERS FROM VEHICLE
- Embargoed: 29th August 2021 14:44
- Keywords: Thailand anti-government car honk horns mob prayuth protests rally
- Location: BANGKOK, THAILAND
- City: BANGKOK, THAILAND
- Country: Thailand
- Topics: Asia / Pacific,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001EQE2G5J
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: EDIT CONTAINS PROFANITY IN SHOT 12
Thai protesters held vehicle demonstrations on Sunday (August 15) in several locations in Bangkok, honking horns and clogging streets to demand the resignation of Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha over his government's handling of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The "car mob" blasted their horns at 18:00 local time, the time the national anthem is usually played in all public transport stations in Bangkok, while many raised three-finger "Hunger Games" salutes.
Anti-government protests in recent weeks have resulted in violent clashes after police used tear gas, rubber bullets, and water cannon to disperse protests in front of Prayuth's residence. Authorities say public gatherings are illegal under the COVID-19 emergency.
The organisers of Sunday's "car mob" said protesting in cars would help prevent the spread of the virus.
Thailand's youth-led anti-government protest movement appears to have regained momentum and its support has broadened after demonstrations last year attracted hundreds of thousands of people before a crackdown by the authorities.
Other political groups, including some of Prayuth's former allies, are now joining the protests as the country struggles to cope with its worst wave of COVID-19, with many blaming the government's handling of the crisis.
(Production: Vorasit Satienlerk, Artorn Pookasook, Juarawee Kittisilpa)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None