- Title: Tony Bennett hangs up concert hat on doctor's orders
- Date: 13th August 2021
- Summary: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (FILE - OCTOBER 16, 1995) (ORIGINALLY 4:3) (REUTERS) (MUTE) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** TONY BENNETT AND SINGER BRANDY SINGING ON STAGE AT THE "CONCERT FOR HOPE" EVENT BENNETT SINGING HIS SIGNATURE TUNE, "I LEFT MY HEART IN SAN FRANCISCO" LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (FILE) (ORIGINALLY 4:3) (REUTERS) (PART MUTE) U.S. CROONER FRANK SINATRA SAYING GOODNIGHT AT A BIRTHDAY PARTY FOR HIS 80TH BIRTHDAY (PART MUTE) BENNETT PRAISING SINATRA SAYING HE'S BEEN A REALLY GOOD FRIEND MONTE CARLO, MONACO (FILE - MAY 8, 1996) (ORIGINALLY 4:3) (REUTERS) TONY BENNETT POSING, TALKING TO REPORTERS AT THE WORLD MUSIC AWARDS LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (FILE - NOVEMBER 9, 2006) (ORIGINALLY 4:3) (REUTERS) BENNETT WITH THEN GIRLFRIEND, SUSAN CROW (L) AND DAUGHTER, ANTONIA BENNETT (R) POSING FOR PHOTOGRAPHS AT HIS 80TH BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (FILE - JULY 2, 2010) (REUTERS) BENNETT POSING FOR PHOTOGRAPHS WITH HIS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT SILVER CLEF AWARD CLOSE UP OF TONY BENNETT'S AWARD BENNETT SPEAKING TO REPORTER BENNETT SPEAKING TO BRITISH SINGER, DAME VERA LYNN LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (FILE - FEBRUARY 10, 2008) (ORIGINALLY 4:3) (REUTERS) BENNETT ARRIVING AT GRAMMY PARTY WITH HIS WIFE LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (FILE - JUNE 28, 2007) (ORIGINALLY 4:3) (REUTERS) BENNETT AND PARTNER ARRIVING AT THE "SPIRIT OF INDEPENDENCE" AWARD HONOURING CLINT EASTWOOD LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (FILE - FEBRUARY 11, 2011) (REUTERS) BENNETT ON CARPET FOR THE 21ST ANNUAL MUSICARES CONCERT IN DOWNTOWN L.A., WALKING OVER WITH DAUGHTER TO SPEAK TO REPORTER LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (FILE - FEBRUARY 26, 2012) (REUTERS) BENNETT AND WIFE SUSAN ARRIVING AT THE OSCARS NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (FILE - NOVEMBER 5, 2018) (REUTERS) BENNETT, WITH WIFE POSING FOR PHOTOGRAPHS AT ELTON JOHN'S ANNUAL NEW YORK GALA FOR HIS AIDS FOUNDATION LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (FILE - SEPTEMBER 2, 2008) (ORIGINALLY 4:3) (REUTERS) TONY BENNETT SPEAKING TO REPORTERS AT THE GQ AWARDS, WHERE HE WAS PRESENTED WITH A GONG BRUSSELS, BELGIUM (FILE - SEPTEMBER 22, 2014) (REUTERS) NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS FOR THE PROMOTION OF "CHEEK TO CHEEK" ALBUM BY SINGER-SONGWRITER, LADY GAGA AND TONY BENNETT (SOUNDBITE) (English) SINGER, TONY BENNETT, SAYING: "We started, I started the very same way she did, with thousands of people cheering me and all that, you know. Later on I just said I want to do it in a very simple way, you know instead of big stadiums and all that I like to play fine acoustical halls like this one right here. If it was up to me I'd have a piano here and I would do a show right here for everybody." (SOUNDBITE) (English) SINGER-SONGWRITER, LADY GAGA, SAYING: "Tony Bennett is just the ultimate gentleman. He is a true legendary jazz singer, just like Frank Sinatra said, he's the best in the business."
- Embargoed: 27th August 2021 18:25
- Keywords: Alzheimer's Tony Bennett concert performances retirement singer
- Location: WASHINGTON, DC, NEW YORK, NEW YORK, LOS ANGELES AND BEVERLY HILLS, CALIFORNIA AND LAS VEGAS, NEVADA, UNITED STATES/BRUSSELS, BELGIUM MONTE CARLO, MONACO/ LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: WASHINGTON, DC, NEW YORK, NEW YORK, LOS ANGELES AND BEVERLY HILLS, CALIFORNIA AND LAS VEGAS, NEVADA, UNITED STATES/BRUSSELS, BELGIUM MONTE CARLO, MONACO/ LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: USA
- Topics: Arts/Culture/Entertainment,Music,United States
- Reuters ID: LVA003EQ43C5P
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: American singer Tony Bennett is stepping back from concert performances at the age of 95, his son said on Friday (August 13).
Bennett, who was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease in 2016, canceled a run of concerts planned for later this year and won't be returning to touring, his manager son Danny Bennett told Variety in an interview.
"There won't be any additional concerts," Danny Bennett said.
"This was a hard decision for us to make, as he is a capable performer. This is, however, doctors' orders... We're not worried about him being able to sing. We are worried, from a physical stand point, about human nature. Tony's 95," he said.
Bennett, best known for his signature ballad "I Left My Heart in San Francisco," made his two last live performances last week at Radio City Music Hall in New York with Lady Gaga in a show called "One Last Time."
The duo recorded a second album of classic duets between 2018 and 2020 that will be released in October. A video showing them recording the single "I Get a Kick Out of You" was released last week and showed the 18-time Grammy Award winner in good form.
Bennett started his career in the 1950s after being discovered by comedian Bob Hope.
(Production: Jane Ross)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None