- Title: Tony Bennett hangs up concert hat on doctor's orders
- Date: 13th August 2021
- Summary: WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES (FILE - NOVEMBER 15, 2017) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** AMERICAN SINGER, TONY BENNETT POSING FOR PHOTOGRAPHS (SOUNDBITE) (English) 2017 RECIPIENT OF THE LIBRARY OF CONGRESS GERSHWIN PRIZE FOR POPULAR SONG, TONY BENNETT: "Well, the public's been beautiful to me and I return it to them. I still love to perform to them and I just have a great life." CAMERA PANS FROM CAMERAMEN TO BENNETT AND HIS WIFE TAKING PICTURES THEN BENNETT'S DAUGHTERS JOIN HIM TO TAKE PICTURES
- Embargoed: 27th August 2021 18:25
- Keywords: Alzheimer's Tony Bennett concert performances retirement singer
- Location: WASHINGTON, DC, NEW YORK, NEW YORK, LOS ANGELES AND BEVERLY HILLS, CALIFORNIA AND LAS VEGAS, NEVADA, UNITED STATES/BRUSSELS, BELGIUM MONTE CARLO, MONACO/ LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: WASHINGTON, DC, NEW YORK, NEW YORK, LOS ANGELES AND BEVERLY HILLS, CALIFORNIA AND LAS VEGAS, NEVADA, UNITED STATES/BRUSSELS, BELGIUM MONTE CARLO, MONACO/ LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: USA
- Topics: Arts/Culture/Entertainment,Music,United States
- Reuters ID: LVA001EQ43C5P
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: American singer Tony Bennett is stepping back from concert performances at the age of 95, his son said on Friday (August 13).
Bennett, who was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease in 2016, canceled a run of concerts planned for later this year and won't be returning to touring, his manager son Danny Bennett told Variety in an interview.
"There won't be any additional concerts," Danny Bennett said.
"This was a hard decision for us to make, as he is a capable performer. This is, however, doctors' orders... We're not worried about him being able to sing. We are worried, from a physical stand point, about human nature. Tony's 95," he said.
Bennett, best known for his signature ballad "I Left My Heart in San Francisco," made his two last live performances last week at Radio City Music Hall in New York with Lady Gaga in a show called "One Last Time."
The duo recorded a second album of classic duets between 2018 and 2020 that will be released in October. A video showing them recording the single "I Get a Kick Out of You" was released last week and showed the 18-time Grammy Award winner in good form.
Bennett started his career in the 1950s after being discovered by comedian Bob Hope.
(Production: Jane Ross)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None