- Title: Hundreds of Lebanon's Shi'ite Muslims mark Ashura
- Date: 19th August 2021
- Summary: NABATIYEH, LEBANON (AUGUST 19, 2021) (REUTERS) SHI'ITE MUSLIMS GATHERING IN MOSQUE ON ASHURA WORSHIPPER GASHING YOUNG MAN'S FOREHEAD WITH KNIFE / CONGRATULATING HIM YOUNG MAN GETTING HIS HEAD GASHED / TAPPING HIS WOUND DURING RITUAL
- Embargoed: 2nd September 2021 12:47
- Keywords: Ashura Lebanon Nabatiyeh Religion Shi'ite
- Location: NABATIYEH, LEBANON
- City: NABATIYEH, LEBANON
- Country: Lebanon
- Topics: Middle East,Religion/Belief,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA001EQY55C7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS GRAPHIC IMAGES
Lebanon's Shi'ite Muslim community marked the beginning of Ashura on Thursday (August 19), holding rallies and gashing their heads with knives in the city of Nabatiyeh to honour Imam Hussein, the grandson of the Prophet Mohammed.
Ashura falls on the 10th day of the lunar calendar month of Muharram, this year on August 19, and commemorates the martyrdom in 680 AD of Imam Hussein Ibn Ali near Kerbala in what is now Iraq.
Dressed in white robes and covered in blood, thousands performed their rituals and tried to follow health measures amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
Khodr, a Shi'ite Lebanese who organizes rallies on Ashura, said that coronavirus restrictions are tighter than those of last year, with many worshippers arriving to receive their gashing then leaving immediately to avoid overcrowding.
"We are following all health precautions. (The worshipper) gets his gashing and leaves. Everyone is wearing a mask. We have medical equipment for all wounds," said Khodr, adding that ensuring everyone's safety is part of the ritual's principles.
(Production: Hassan Hankir, Imad Creidi, Nadeen Ebrahim)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None