- Title: Bahrain Shi'tes mark pandemic-restricted Ashura
- Date: 19th August 2021
- Summary: MANAMA, BAHRAIN (AUGUST 18, 2021) (REUTERS) (NIGHT SHOTS) VARIOUS OF MAN BEATING ON DRUM DURING GATHERING TO MARK ASHURA MANAMA, BAHRAIN (AUGUST 17, 2021) (REUTERS) (NIGHT SHOTS) MAN BEATING PERCUSSION INSTRUMENT WHILE ANOTHER BANGS ON A DRUM DURING PROCESSION VARIOUS OF PEOPLE DURING PROCESSION BANGING ON BACKS WITH METALLIC WHIP MANAMA, BAHRAIN (AUGUST 17, 2021) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF HEAD OF AL-RAJAB COMMUNITY CENTER IN MANAMA, SADIQ HASSN BIN RAJAB, SITTING WITH GUEST (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) HEAD OF AL-RAJAB COMMUNITY CENTER IN MANAMA, SADIQ HASSN BIN RAJAB, SAYING: "Each year we commemorate the anniversary of Ashura with processions in the streets and with hostesses handing out food, water and drinks to people. This year because of the coronavirus pandemic and because of our commitment to the advice and measures from health authorities in Bahrain, we are limited to a specific number of people." MANAMA, BAHRAIN (AUGUST 18, 2021) (REUTERS) (NIGHT SHOTS) PROCESSION IN PROGRESS PEOPLE BEATING BACKS WITH METALLIC WHIP DURING PROCESSION MAN CRYING WHILE BEATING BACK WITH METALLIC WHIP (SOUNDBITE) (English) HEAD OF MEDIA OFFICE OF AJAM COMMUNITY CENTER, HADI TORANI, SAYING: "Protect people and the visitors as much as we can to follow the rules, instructions and this year we got permission to allow only 30 people in the martyr. Due to the high number of people who want to come and join we opened up an extra (space) outdoors." MANAMA, BAHRAIN (AUGUST 17, 2021) (REUTERS) (NIGHT SHOTS) PEOPLE WALKING IN A CIRCLE BEATING BACKS WITH METALLIC WHIP MAN CHANTING RELIGIOUS CHANTS IN MICROPHONE MANAMA, BAHRAIN (AUGUST 18, 2021) (REUTERS) MAJOR FROM CAPITAL POLICE DIRECTORATE, SAAD NASIR AL HAZAMI, CHATTING WITH OFFICIAL FROM HAJI ABBAS COMMUNITY CENTER (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) MAJOR FROM CAPITAL POLICE DIRECTORATE, MAJOR SAAD NASIR AL HAZAMI, SAYING: "In the capital's police directorate, we conduct regular inspections of all community centers in the capital to see that all rules and regulations are followed, like social distancing, to safeguard the community. Today we moved to yellow zone from orange, meaning that inside the community centre, the maximum people allowed in are 30 at a time, not like last week when any number could attend." MANAMA, BAHRAIN (AUGUST 18, 2021) (REUTERS) (NIGHT SHOTS) VARIOUS OF MEN SITTING WEARING FACE MASKS AND LISTENING TO RELIGIOUS CHANTS VARIOUS OF MEN STANDING WHILE BANGING ON THEIR BACK WITH METALLIC WHIP
- Embargoed: 2nd September 2021 12:19
- Keywords: Ashura Bahrain Muslims Procession Shi'tes
- Location: MANAMA, BAHRAIN
- City: MANAMA, BAHRAIN
- Country: Bahrain
- Topics: Middle East,Religion/Belief,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA001EQY52Z9
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Dozens of Shi'te muslims in Bahrain commemorated the religious ritual of Ashura over two days, gathering outdoors with percussion instruments to observe the tradition.
Men clad in black and wearing face masks lined up as some banged on drums and others recited religious chants, while those observing used a whip fitted with metallic chains for self-flagellation.
Bahrain allowed the ritual to take place this year with some protective measures in place including social distancing, mandatory mask-wearing and regular sanitization.
Authorities also limited the number of attendees and held processions outdoors to accommodate the number of those attending.
Ashura falls on the 10th day of the lunar calendar month of Muharram, this year on August 19, and commemorates the martyrdom in 680 AD of Imam Hussein Ibn Ali, one of the grandsons of the Prophet Mohammed, near Kerbala in what is now Iraq.
(Prouction: Hamad Mohammed, Abdelhadi Ramahi, Seham Eloraby)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None