- Title: Two dead, 50 injured in bomb attack on Shiâ€™ite procession in central Pakistan
- Date: 19th August 2021
- Summary: BRICKS PLACED AROUND DEBRIS POLICE AND PEOPLE NEAR BLAST SCENE AMBULANCES ARRIVING AT SCENE PEOPLE NEAR AMBULANCE
- Embargoed: 2nd September 2021 17:38
- Keywords: Ashura Pakistan Pakistan blast blast
- Location: BAHAWALNAGAR, PAKISTAN
- City: BAHAWALNAGAR, PAKISTAN
- Country: Pakistan
- Topics: Asia / Pacific
- Reuters ID: LVA003EQY5PVR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS GRAPHIC MATERIAL
EDITORS NOTE: QUALITY AS INCOMING
A bomb blast in Bahawalnagar city in central Pakistan killed at least two people and wounded 52 others attending a Shi'ite procession marking Ashura on Thursday (August 19).
An eyewitness from the scene told Reuters that the procession started at Imam Bargah Jamiatu Zehra and when the procession reached Jail Road the explosion left several wounded.
An emergency service spokesperson told Reuters two people had died and 52 were wounded.
Ashura falls on the 10th day of the lunar calendar month of Muharram, this year on August 19, and commemorates the martyrdom in 680 AD of Imam Hussein Ibn Ali near Kerbala, in what is now Iraq.
Shi'ites mark the festival with large public rituals, sometimes involving bloody self-flagellation or cutting to signify a link with the sufferings of Hussein, whose death symbolizes a wider struggle against oppression and tyranny.
(Production: Waseem Sattar/Shahabuddin Shahab/ Tanya Lezaic)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None