- Title: Shiâ€™ite Muslims mark Ashura in Indian Kashmir
- Date: 19th August 2021
- Summary: SRINAGAR, JAMMU AND KASHMIR, INDIA (AUGUST 19, 2021) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) SHI'ITE MUSLIM MOURNERS WEARING BLACK DRESSES WALKING ON STREET MOURNERS SEEKING BLESSINGS BY TOUCHING REPLICA OF COFFIN OF IMAM HUSSEIN
- Embargoed: 2nd September 2021 13:42
- Keywords: Ashura India Jammu and Kashmir Muharram Muslims Srinagar celebration festival procession religion
- Location: SRINAGAR, JAMMU AND KASHMIR, INDIA
- City: SRINAGAR, JAMMU AND KASHMIR, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Asia / Pacific,Religion/Belief,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA001EQY2GY7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Shi'ite Muslim devotees in India's federal Jammu and Kashmir territory marked Ashura on Thursday (August 19), with procession, mourning the death of martyrdom Islamic Prophet Muhammad's grandson, Imam Hussein ibn Ali.
Ashura falls on the 10th day of Muharram, the first month of the Islamic calendar, and commemorates the martyrdom of Imam Hussein, near Karbala, in what is now Iraq.
Mourners recited eulogies during the procession on the streets of Srinagar city and self- flagellated to express solidarity with the Islamic mystic.
Some mourners on Wednesday (August 18) raised religious slogans as they rode on boats in the interiors of Dal Lake during the procession.
While the Kashmiri Shi'ite Muslims celebrated Muharram on Thursday, the festival will be celebrated in the rest of the country on Friday (August 20).
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None