- Title: View of Kabul airport as people try to flee Afghanistan
- Date: 19th August 2021
- Summary: OVERLOOKING HAMID KARZAI INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT, KABUL, AFGHANISTAN (AUGUST 19, 2021) (REUTERS) TALIBAN MEMBERS FOLDING UP LARGE AFGHAN FLAG ON THE GROUND MILITARY TRANSPORT PLANE TAKING OFF FROM AIRPORT MILITARY PLANES ON THE GROUND / MILITARY HELICOPTER LANDING PEOPLE CARRYING LARGE AFGHAN FLAG ALONG STREET NEAR AIRPORT AIRPORT BUILDINGS / PEOPLE ON TARMAC
- Embargoed: 2nd September 2021 12:09
- Keywords: Afghanistan Hamid Karzai Kabul Taliban airport insurgency
- Location: OVERLOOKING HAMID KARZAI INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT, KABUL, AFGHANISTAN
- City: OVERLOOKING HAMID KARZAI INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT, KABUL, AFGHANISTAN
- Country: Afghanistan
- Topics: Asia / Pacific,Conflicts/War/Peace,Insurgencies
- Reuters ID: LVA001EQY42MF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Video showed the scene at Kabul's airport on Thursday (August 19) as people rushed for a way out of the country after the Taliban seized the Afghan capital.
While Kabul has been generally calm since Taliban forces entered on Sunday (August 15), the airport has been in chaos.
Twelve people have been killed in and around the airport since then, a NATO and a Taliban official said. The deaths were caused either by gun shots or by stampedes, the Taliban official said.
On Wednesday (August 18), witnesses said Taliban gunmen prevented people from getting into the airport compound.
A Taliban official said commanders and soldiers had fired into the air to disperse the crowd. The situation was more calm on Thursday, witnesses said.
The United States and other Western powers pressed on with the evacuation of their nationals and some of their Afghan staff from the capital's airport, from where about 8,000 people have been flown out since Sunday, a Western security official said.
People were seen carrying a large Afghan flag in the street on Thursday, the day the country celebrates its 1919 independence from British control.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None