- Title: Wrap - Afghan protests spread to Kabul in early challenge to Taliban
- Date: 19th August 2021
- Summary: KABUL, AFGHANISTAN (AUGUST 19, 2021) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF MEN SELF-FLAGELLATING DURING MOURNING PROCESSION TO MARK ASHURA
- Embargoed: 2nd September 2021 17:05
- Keywords: Afghans being evacuated crowds fleeing gunfire schoolgirls going to school in Herat self-flagelaltion on Ashura strong UGC of protests
- Location: VARIOUS
- City: VARIOUS
- Country: Afghanistan
- Topics: Asia / Pacific,Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA008EQY2LON
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS A WRAP OF HIGHLIGHTS OF EDITS THAT HAVE ALREADY MOVED. THERE IS NO NEW MATERIAL IN THIS EDIT
PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS GRAPHIC MATERIAL
Chaotic scenes were witnessed in and around Kabul airport on Thursday (August 19) amid increasing numbers of protests against the Taliban across Afghanistan.
Gunmen fired into the air at several entrances to the airport, scattering crowds including women clutching babies. It was not clear if the men firing were Taliban or security staff helping U.S. forces inside the airport.
In one incident captured on social media, a small girl was hoisted over the airport's high perimeter wall and handed to a U.S. soldier, showing the desperation of people trying to get out.
Anti-Taliban protests were held in several cities. In Kabul, a crowd of men and women waved the black, red, and green national flags in Kabul as they marched on the day Afghanistan celebrates independence from British control in 1919.
Shi'ite Muslims also marked Ashura on the 10th day of the month of Muharram and remember the martyrdom of Hussein, one of the grandsons of the Prophet Mohammad.
(Production: Parul Gupta)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: WARNING: Editors please note, this clip contains graphic material