- Title: Russia is ready to return to Moscow format of talks on Afghanistan - Lavrov
- Date: 19th August 2021
- Summary: MOSCOW, RUSSIA (AUGUST 19, 2021) (REUTERS) RUSSIAN FOREIGN MINISTER SERGEI LAVROV AND FOREIGN MINISTER OF LIBYA NAJLA MANGOUSH ENTERING NEWS CONFERENCE (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) RUSSIAN FOREIGN MINISTER, SERGEI LAVROV, SAYING: "Now, when the Talibs, in fact, took power in Kabul and the majority of other cities and provinces of Afghanistan, we are still supporting the same thing - the national dialog which allows to form a representative government. It will work, with the support of the citizens of Afghanistan on agreements about final resettlement of this long-suffering country." NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) RUSSIAN FOREIGN MINISTER, SERGEI LAVROV, SAYING: "How do we see this? The same in recent years. We are very active as part of extended Group-of-Three arrangements Russia, U.S., China, Pakistan and in The Moscow Format, which is acknowledged as the most effective mechanism to develop external support of Afghan regulation, advocated the early start of these negotiations." MEDIA (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) RUSSIAN FOREIGN MINISTER, SERGEI LAVROV, SAYING: "In this context, I am convinced that The Moscow format has the greatest prospect, since the situation has a region-wide dimension, and the nearest countries reacted to this and countries located further to Afghanistan." NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) RUSSIAN FOREIGN MINISTER, SERGEI LAVROV, SAYING: "We didn't do any official proposals yet, but the effectiveness of this kind of maintenance of Afghan negotiations was acknowledged by everyone. And we are ready if deemed as appropriate, to restart work on this format." LAVROV AND MANGOUSH LEAVING NEWS CONFERENCE
- Embargoed: 2nd September 2021 11:57
- Keywords: Afghanistan Conflict Foreign Policy Lavrov Politics Russia Taliban
- Location: MOSCOW, RUSSIA
- City: MOSCOW, RUSSIA
- Country: Russia
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Europe,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001EQY4QBR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said on Thursday (August 19) that Russia is ready to return to the 'Moscow format' of peace talks on Afghanistan.
Moscow format refers to series of meetings held since 2016 in the Russian capital with representatives of Afghan parties as well as interested countries taking part.
Lavrov said that Moscow advocated a transitional power-sharing government which would lead to resolving the situation in the country.
Earlier this week, Lavrov discussed the Afghan situation with counterparts from the U.S., China, and Turkey.
(Production: Angelina Kazakova)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None